Travel ironing pads, with mushroom fabric - of course!

I kept the mushroom one, obviously :smile:. The cute windmills went to my oft traveling sister who shortly afterwards started dating a Dutchman. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Made with a double layer of insulbrite (that silver backed insulating/reflective fabric that’s good in lunch kits too) and machine quilted in a simple grid.

I use mine very often, either unfolded on a surface (sometimes with a towel beneath for extra table top protection), folded in half, or even into quarters if I need a squishy surface for applying dimensional layers that I don’t want crushed flat.

17 Likes

Ooh, this is great and so functional for small projects! I actually have had some insulbrite (didn’t know name) in my stash for more than a decade. I bought some when my sewing skills were basic and wanted to make oven mitts. I still use the one I made, but it’s wonky.

Perfect fabrics!

2 Likes

Right? I’ve had the rest of in stash since making these. I think I intended a lunch kit but those just don’t last very long so I couldn’t justify the work that goes into it for what might end up only being a season. I think I might make a double oven mitt instead.

2 Likes

Great idea! Bookmarked! Thanks.

1 Like

I have one like that & it’s what I reach for most often. The Mister likes those big gloves but they are always so huge on me, lol.

That looks perfectly functional and smaller than the regular ones. It just looks like the inner curve could have used the seam allowance clipped to prevent that pucker. Aside from that, it’s most excellent!

@Lynx2Lancer where did your post go, Ack!

what a great showcase of killer fabric!

1 Like

This oven mitt I was telling you about, posted, then hastily deleted. :slight_smile:

A bit wonky, but used.
(Now, your previous post makes sense again.)

6 Likes

Snort poke those corners out… clip those curves…mantra sewing by my sensei,@magpie

I love these! I travel a lot and even though most hotels have irons, they also have huge ironing boards when sometimes you just need a tiny press!

That double mitt potholder is also a great project…I am always burning something trying to use one gloved potholder, one flat, taking out a heavy casserole with two hands and arms!!!

3 Likes

As soon as I saw the mushrooms in the thumbnail, I knew whose that was! They’re both lovely, though, and honestly a fantastic idea!

1 Like

These are… well, they’re gorgeous! That’s right, I’ve said that pressing pads are gorgeous. And I meant it!

4 Likes

@Magpie those pressing pads are fantastic. Think I need to add insulbright to my craft shopping list - been thinking about something like this for my craft room, much easier than a full sized ironing board.

As for the double oven mitts…
Those are what are normally on sale here in UK. I hate them. I find the fabric in the middle gets it the way so often and I end up putting whatever I’m holding on top of it. Not so bad if you’re taking out of oven on to side but very annoying if putting in oven and even worse if moving something on to a hot hob (yep, more than once. Thankfully no damage done but…).
I also found that they were often so thin that they hardly insulated hands at all, but with making own that bit shouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

Love these! What a great idea!!! I may have to make some…

1 Like

Interesting…I wonder if I should play around with the length…If I “pretend” to take out a casserole, I can have hubby measure…that is the beauty of sewing, being able to customize to what will work…Thanks for your feedback…I may also insulate the inner arm part more…with my arthritic hands, I can’t trust just to use my hands to remove things from the oven…I have to use my forearms as well

3 Likes

I love the fabric! What a smart idea.

1 Like

Good idea to see about customising length and adding extra padding.
When measuring remember to use the biggest dish you use, and think about smaller ones too - maybe more than 1 set if you often use different sizes of dish?

3 Likes

Super cute and super useful!

1 Like

Your fabric choices are just marvelous! Travel pads are so much better than the bath towels I use when I’m in a hotel.

2 Likes

Okay, first, I would never have thought of a travel ironing pad. So smart!

Second, your fabric is to die for!

2 Likes

That fabric alone wants me to have a travel ironing pad like yours!
Oh and maybe because of the windmills too :wink:

Never thought of making travel ironing pads, but is is a great idea! :+1:t3:

1 Like