Trogdor Lighter (such majesty!)

Hi friends!

Biggest kiddo is turning the big double digits in about a week. He’s been watching Homestarrunner clips with me for the past few months, and like everyone else in 2008, became enamored with Strong Bad. (See here if you need a refresher or never was introduced.) He wants his birthday cake (coming soon!) to be Trogdor-related. Of course, to burninate his candles and the peasants/thatched-roof cottages, he needed an appropriate lighter. I was excited to oblige.

I started with a flexible neck refillable butane lighter and built a Trogdor body out of polymer clay…then promptly melted the plastic works in the oven when curing the clay (no worries. It was a totally empty/never used lighter. I’m not popping fuel in the oven.) So round two, I built up the clay slowly and used a heat gun to cure the clay as I went. Not the best method, but it worked, and I could keep the lighter in working order.

Doomed first lighter with our Trogdor board game piece for reference.

Sad melty lighter

Some of the clay bits were cured separately and then super glued on. I’m so pleased with it! I think it’ll be a great centerpiece for his party.

24 Likes

OMG! This is amazeballs! I have just had Strongbad re-enter my life in the last week or so via an old friend texting me links. I think the creator(s) are back at it, too.

The lighter is PERFECT for burnination! It looks just like a man, I mean a dragon, I mean a dragon man!

3 Likes

That makes my early 2000s heart so happy. Thank you for making this a thing that exists! I hope your kiddo is suitably impressed and enjoys burninating his cake.

3 Likes

Ok, that is most excellent. And also, woo! So glad that’s online again, for a while it was not & I missed it’s hilarity. So fun.

2 Likes

There’s nothing Better for a kid than Momlove! This has momlove written all over it! Plus, It’s like, sick, as my 17 yr old would say!

2 Likes

Fantastic! My husband and I will randomly burst out with “awww, Lil Brudder!” and sobbing :laughing:

2 Likes

YES! When we have to use Fire we talking about burninating the peasants.
Teen Girl Squad immediately popped in my head when I saw Trogdor, though. Randomly one of my friends would yell it out in the same voice regardless of where we were located. College was so fun.

2 Likes

This is brilliant! Happy burninating my friend!

2 Likes

I had to watch your clip because this cultural phenomenon definitely passed me by. You captured the dragon perfectly! Majesty and all.

3 Likes

WOW! Incredible likeness.

2 Likes

Such a cool project and execution!

2 Likes

What a blast from the past! To the limit!!! (we had that song play on repeat in the office for a while)
Awesome work, happy birthday to kiddo!

2 Likes

Congrats! This outstanding :star2: project is featured this week! :tada:

2 Likes

Wow! They will talk about this party for years to come!

2 Likes

I love it so much! You are always so creative! Can’t wait to see the cake.

2 Likes

This is absolutely glorious! :joy: My husband and I still make Trogdor references frequently. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

The thing that I love about this project is that you don’t even have to be familiar with the reference in order to appreciate how neat this is! What a fun addition to his party!

2 Likes

This is fantastic! What an amazing way to burninate!

2 Likes

OMG! I totally forgot all about Trogdor! This is absolutely amazing. I love how you captured every single detail, right down to the texture on his body. I’m in LOVE.

Scurrying away to watch some videos (said with a consummate V)!

What a lucky birthday boy. I can’t wait to see the cake!!!

1 Like

Amazing!! oh the memories this brings.

1 Like