Under the Sea Handspun Yarn

Recently, there was a LYS yarn crawl in my area, and even though I couldn’t make it to every shop, I found some real gems. At my last stop, I picked up this gorgeous wool/silk/sari silk/angelina batt created by a local fiber artist…and turned it into this:

227 yards and 91g of three-ply yarn. I’ll know the weight once I wash it, but it should average between sport and DK.

And, this little bit of leftovers, chain-plied (9g, about 20-ish yards).

When I bought it, it looked like this:

It unrolled into this:

Looked like this after I dizzed it into roving:

And spun up as fine as you would expect from a wool/silk blend (but still delightfully slubby from all of the sari scraps):

20 Likes

This is magic!

3 Likes

It’s the most wonderful thing. Did you send the seller a photo? So cool seeing what people make with your original art supplies

1 Like

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah, I did send her a picture of the finished yarn (not washed).

1 Like

Lovely mix of the colors!!

2 Likes

This is amazing

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’m so happy with how it turned out. The only gripe I have is that the fiber gave up some dye when I washed it. Silk…

1 Like

This is just so stunning!! Love seeing each step of the transformation.

Your yarn crawl inspired me to look for similar events in my area. I found out I juuust missed a local “Wool Walk.” I’ve it marked to look out for next year!

2 Likes

So beautiful! What wonderful skills you have!

2 Likes

Thank you!

@Abbeeroad - World Wide Knit in Public day is coming up June 10th! Your LYS might have something going on.

2 Likes

Beautiful yarn!

Our Knitting Guild is meeting in Arlie Gardens and knitting outside as the tourists and locals enjoy the gardens!

I just have to decide what I want to take with me that is simple but looks interesting so people will ask questions.

3 Likes

Amazing!!! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Ooo! I will definitely check! They have live knit nights on Wednesdays, I’m building up the courage to drop in one of these weeks. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This yarn is so gorgeous! I can’t wait to see what you turn it into!

2 Likes

Wow! That is incredible. I had no idea it went through all of that. It turned out beautiful.

3 Likes

Thank you, everyone!

1 Like

Mmmm… yummy colors! Just gorgeous!

2 Likes

This is sooooo pretty! I love that you can turn a batt into something so beautiful. They are beautiful alone, but the way you worked your magic and it is so much more. Do you have an idea of what you’ll make with it?

Ugh, yes. I had some recycled silk yarn from Darn Good Yarn and the color red came off onto my hands when I was knitting. After washing it became a lot more muted, but was still gorgeous. I just wish I would have known and washed it ahead of time! Silk is gorgeous and soft but not very dye absorbent!

2 Likes