Under the Utah sea

This month’s Stitch Along theme is Under The Sea, but I wanted to relate it to our current travels in the desert southwest.
@chameleonhound mentioned that Utah was once covered by an ocean. As we drove through Zion National Park, I could see the different layers of sediment laid down over time.

This includes an ammonite (or maybe a nautilus), many layers of felt rock, and a selection of embroidered fossils. It’s12" tall, 4" wide, and mounted atop a piece of mass produced “art” that came with our camper.

Note: I’m an artist, not a geologist, so layers and fossils may not be accurately portrayed. But who knows, maybe I got lucky.

27 Likes

I love all the layers, colors, and textures!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! This makes my nerd heart so happy!

1 Like

It is a fantastic conceptual piece! I love the layers!

1 Like

This is so awesome. I love that it is a reflection of your trip.

1 Like

This is freaking amazing!

1 Like

I love this, too! I went searching for sea fossils in the middle of the hills just north of Fairbanks, AK years ago on a geology class trip. I only found a bivalve, but a few others found some awesome fossils. I gave up the search early because I was cold (we got a late season snow storm and the temp dropped. I wasn’t wearing snow boots, and my feet were freezing), but I wish I’d stuck it out. I love geology.

1 Like

I love this, especially all the textures. :green_heart:

1 Like

This is so cool! I absolutely love it :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The textures are so nice. Good job!

1 Like

This is so cool. I love all the details, textures, and layers.

2 Likes

What a great interpretation! And all those textures! It’s lovely.

1 Like

How cool is this?!

1 Like

@steiconi this is one of my favourite things I’ve seen on LC. Amazing :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks, y’all! It was a lot of fun!

You knocked this out of the park…er, ocean!

1 Like

I love every single thing about this! I love that you latched onto the fact about Utah to connect it to your trip and turn it into a cool science-y piece to cover up a not as cool, (probably) non-science-y, cookie-cutter piece of camper art!

1 Like

This is really cool! What a great Momento of your trip

1 Like

Beautiful artistic expression of your journey!

1 Like