I got to do something creative, which felt like water in a desert.
We took these two bog standard kitchen cabinet carcasses off the wall to make way for the electrician to gouge out channels for wires. They were not going back as this is to be my craft-room. So the existing fitted kitchen is all being ripped out. But despite being made from melamine faced chipboard, these were reasonably sound and I will need plenty of open shelving in my craft-room eventually. Plus I wanted to experiment with chalk paint.
Of course I have no room to do this kind of work especially since the house is like a building site, but I needed to. So move over everything else!
I mixed up my own chalk paint from paint for wood+lime and a touch of water. It worked really well. I also spent lots of time mixing until I got colours I liked.
I stenciled the sides and added some gold accents with a posca marker. They are going on the walls in this configuration so I squeezed in a small stencil on the other side of the larger one.
And I used wallpaper to pretty up the insides.
Of course now that they are finished, I don’t actually have anywhere to put them yet, I know what wall they will be hung on, but there is a whole cascade of work to be done before the walls are free.
These was one of the originals. I took off the moulding and the doors. That brown mark on the side that you’re wondering about, was grease. Ugh