Upcycled Upholstery Crossbody Bag

Years ago, I had the idea to make a purse from upholstery samples I’d picked up. Some, I got at my local creative reuse shop, and others at a going-out-of-business sale at a local fabric retailer. (RIP Hancock’s Fabrics. :cry:)

There was one piece of fabric in particular that was my favorite. It really sung to me! It has been languishing in my stash for a long time. The recent Make-a-Bag-and-Fill-It swap allowed me to finally “use the good stuff” and turn it into a crossbody bag for @jemimah. (Thanks, @Manders, for suggesting the swap!)

@jemimah said she wanted a crossbody bag to tote smallish (6x9”) art supplies on artistic outings. Her questionnaire suggested she might like a travel-related theme. How perfect! (Although I totally miscalculated the size, so she’ll need to leave the top zipper undone to carry her sketchpads!)

I altered the Teloujay 2.0 pattern from Country Cow Designs. The main changes were the diagonal zipper (which is super-cool, but wasn’t suitable for my fabric, which had a strongly horizontal design) and the size. In hindsight, it would have been better to make it the actual size of the pattern, but I made it smaller to work with the small piece of fabric that is the focal point.

The back has more upholstery samples. I love how the colors and shapes work together, and that it works with both blacks and browns.

The inside features a zipper pocket for secure storage of personal items. In my stash, I had some scraps of Spoonflower VanGogh/Starry Night fabric leftover from another project, as well as a geometric print that worked with both the interior and exterior colors & patterns.

IMG_4541

Really, the only things I had to buy were some of the interfacings and stabilizers, and the vinyl on the strap. Even the zippers were reclaimed/repurposed. I ended up crocheting around the zipper loops because I didn’t like how the bright silver looked against the geometric background.

I had some struggles and it’s definitely not perfect, but I still loved the outcome and was SO pleased that I was able to “use the good stuff” and finally allow the materials to become a functional bag. So, so rewarding!

24 Likes

It’s beautiful!

1 Like

It’s wonderful, and absolutely perfect for me! It’s so beautifully made, and ideal for expeditions too - sturdy and compact, with pockets and room for what I need. :smile: thank you again @endymion, I love it!

1 Like

Thanks, @madebyBeaG! I’m so glad you like it, @jemimah. It was so fun to do, and I enjoy thinking about it going on overseas adventures!

This is such a a cute bag. I love the starry night fabric on the inside. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Your mix of fabrics and special details really made for a unique bag. Sewing really did allow for your creativity…the zipper placement, the lining…just love the things you did…

I am sure that @jemimah appreciates this beautiful and functional bag!

2 Likes

I love this!! It’s the perfect size. What a great concept of a traveling art bag! Crocheting around the zipper pulls was a nice touch.

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning! I love the focal fabric and description of your process. That crocheted pull cover is the perfect finish.

2 Likes

Thanks, @AIMR, @Abbeeroad, and @Tapestry.

2 Likes

I love this! And the zipper pull looks amazing. I adore the samples on the front. They work well together.
And RIP Hancocks, we miss you!

4 Likes

This is so dang cute and cool!

2 Likes

This came out so cool! Really well done.

2 Likes

Beautiful! A cute sturdy bag is a great addition to every adventure! I’m a big fan of this zipper pull idea as well.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

The fabric used on the inside of your bag looks like Van Gogh’s sky.

1 Like

Thanks; that’s exactly what it is!

1 Like