Upcycling antique Christmas Postcards into new Christmas Cards

This was a SUPER simple idea, but I was so happy with how it turned out.

I picked up a big, assorted lot of antique, 100 year old Christmas postcards. These things were so neat because they all had 1 cent stamps and handwritten messages and postmarks from 1912-1926 or so. I loved the art style, the greetings, and the archaic spelling of some of the words (like one said “Merrie Christmas.”) They literally don’t make things like this anymore. So I decided I wanted to give them a new life.

I bought a pack of blank greeting cards and some gold photo corners.

gold-photocorners

This allowed me to put the postcards on the blank cards without doing any permanent damage to them and also allowing you to easily pop the postcard off to read the backs as well.

On some of them, I also used decorative washi tape to add a little more interest and design to the card.

I bagged them with an envelope in a clear cellophane bag and put them out for sale at my holiday shows. They were a huge success and for a very minor investment of time and supplies, I was able to not only make a little extra holiday cash, but give these antique cards a whole new life. It felt good to get them out and seen again and appreciated. Plus, it’s a great way to recycle and reuse perfectly lovely pieces instead of just throwing them out.

19 Likes

That’s awesome! I love old Christmas cards.
I’m still working off some Christmas cards that my grandma bought, some possibly before I was born? But they’re definitely not 100 years old!

2 Likes

That’s a really neat idea.

2 Likes

That is gorgeous, they look fabulous

2 Likes

Brilliant idea! I love that you can read the backs too

3 Likes

Such pretty old cards, I always loved the designs on the old ones, and I’m glad you were able to use the old cards in such a way.

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t want to do anything destructive to the postcards. And half the charm is the old postmarks, stamps, addresses, and of course notes and handwriting. This way, you can still enjoy that aspect of it too!

3 Likes

Such a smart idea! I also love antique postcards, but never know what to do with them.

2 Likes

I’m so relieved that you didn’t just glue them down! You are a responsible crafter and I salute you. What a wonderful reuse of these lovely old cards. :sparkling_heart:

Kinda want to bring that back…

3 Likes

What a pretty and clever way to give these cards a second chance at Christmas!

1 Like

Let’s hear it for photo corners! I’m always surprised that they still exist, but so glad of it. This is a wonderful idea for using vintage postcards.

2 Likes

Charming cards and craft idea :slight_smile:

1 Like