Use it or lose it! A sharing and caring gift-along

Would you like one?

2 Likes

Well, it took me awhile to get going, but BAM! I have one thing on my list heading out and two things that I dug out of stash when I saw them on 2 ISO lists! WOO! And I have a couple things coming my way, too. EEEEEEeeeeeeee!

7 Likes

It’s awesome, right?

Mermaid shades masterboards & skater stickers from @Reinikka :grin:

13 Likes

I don’t have Happy Anniversary but if you can wait a week, I’ll check the creative reuse store next Saturday…

2 Likes

I think I can wait :slight_smile: Thanks! And I’ll let you know if I crack and go shopping before then :laughing:

2 Likes

Newest offerings

A quilting sampler with all the material, batting and instructions Finished size 15x18 inches

Tapestry applique. Its about 8.5 in square you can make a small pillow, apply to another items like a bag or anything you choose. I have seen them simply backed and hung on the wall

7 Likes

Does anyone want old road maps? (various places in the US, mostly AAA, mostly 1990s-2000s) I’m taking about 2/3 of my stash to the creative reuse store on Friday, but happy to send some to people if you speak up before then!

2 Likes

omg–yes…my husband collects maps…he just loves them and doodles all over them, figures out what is in each state, etc. I have to get him a new Road Atlas periodically as well…as he would rather use maps than google drive!

He would be in heaven for days! I want to take his older ones and make him a sort of junk journal of just maps…

8 Likes

I love the idea of Creative Reuse stores!
We don’t have them over here in Belgium, as far as I know.

3 Likes

I didn’t think we had one here, and then I looked it up & discovered that we not only have one on my side of Baltimore, but it’s run by someone I knew slightly from the job she quit to open it, so it might be worth googling to check if you can figure out what they’d be called in your area. :grin:

3 Likes

I tried and the only thing I found so far are thrift shops.
I’ll keep looking.

@Immaculata, do you know if there are any Creative Reuse Stores in The Netherlands (or even better for me: in Belgium)?

6 Likes

Not that I (or Google) knows of! I do know a few places that sell used craft books or vintage patterns and notions, but not really a whole store dedicated to crafting materials.

4 Likes

The woman who started ours in PA began in her garage and it grew so fast she had to get a small shop…she now owns a huge, almost warehouse type shop and employees ten women…who knew such a thing would be so popular!

Teachers and artists helped spread the word…you can find everything there from already knitted and crocheted items to bottle caps! They had bags and bags of scrap fabrics…I took so many things there and really had to stop myself from buying other things…it was really cheap. All the items are donated…she even got huge store like Michaels to donate goods that don’t sell in their stores…

Maybe one of you should look into this potential business venture!

6 Likes

Theres one 4 hrs from me they sell refurbished sewing machines and started as a sewing repurpose shop so they get tons of material and machines. The woman who runs it is very well versed in sewing machine repairs so gets them all fixed and sells them off fairly inexpensive like $40 and then people started donating more so she also has really nice quality yarns. I am going to a retreat out that way in 3 weeks and we all bring stash to swap anything left on the take it or leave it table at the end the retreat organizer brings it as a donation to this shop.
I really wish we had one closer she’s only open Wed and Saturday am’s and not possible for me to really go browse 4 hrs away UGH

6 Likes

I’m going to make a trip to that store sometime this summer; I hope you find weird and wonderful things! I so wanted to open a place like this in the past but it wasn’t to be. One needs to be not only passionate about creative reuse (which I am), but entrepreneurial and a good manager and marketer as well (which I am not). Maybe someday, if I am living in an area that has a need!

6 Likes

Are those places thrift shops (kringloopwinkels)?

3 Likes

I shipped off three packages today and it feel so good! Recipients have been sent tracking info via DM.

3 Likes

Have i ever loved the look of a word more? I dont think so. Is that the word for “thrift shop” or is it a chain name? Either way it’s delightful looking.

11 Likes

if you are serious, I would love one!

4 Likes

http://trashn2tees.blogspot.com/2014/11/FindACreativeReuseCenterLocationNearYou.html

says there is one in Brussels? (this is an old list – think it was 2014, but hopefully the place is still operating?)
(@madebyBeaG )

2 Likes