Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

What a good use of scraps! I really like the variety but the yellow and black floral really catches my eye!

1 Like

That black floral and polka dot on the inside is from a baby doll outfit I made for my granddaughter’s baby doll.

10 Likes

awww…the key fob will be a reminder of this…I have always wished I had a little one to sew doll clothes and clothes for…that is an adorable outfit

2 Likes

So apparently I missed posting for most of the month of February? Forgive the project dump below!

First up, some dresses for my 19cm doll. I’m especially fond of the red floral - it’s a vintage find from Aunt Gloria the Great’s stash and just so aggressively cheery.

A dress for a different 19cm doll with a completely different body shape…

And one for the 16cm size. This shares the same bodice pattern as the one above, just with a shorter skirt.

The two blue fabrics above are scraps from this quilt (pardon the awful photographs).

And another 16cm size dress, this time using a scrap from this quilt. The print is ridiculously oversize on her, and I love it.

This wasn’t a great month for non-dolly crafting. Hopefully March will have more variety.

12 Likes

All of those scraps are turned into cuteness when they are made up for your dolls!

2 Likes

So, I made some fabric bookmark type things this weekend. Using scraps!! But, I feel they are still in need of some oomph. It was quite therapeutic though!!

7 Likes

Zip pouches all scraps and zips from stash. The appliqués were scraps from fabric I made pillows out of in the late 80’s. I need a fabric hoarding intervention. I was proud I didn’t buy any fabric at the junk store today. They had a lot like penguins and peppa pig, but I was strong.

18 Likes

Those are so cool! How did you do those appliques? Were they actually the print from fabrics? Do you use heat bond and then just sew around? I love that you creatively used your stash and scraps!! Really made some very interesting pouches…

2 Likes

They are a print, like a linen. I used heat and bond and clear thread to put them on the pouches. I still have a few more left. I love the camera one best.

3 Likes

I have a purpose for these blocks now! I’m going to make a lap quilt for my grandma. I’m going to sew some more blocks tonight.

6 Likes

So now that I finished the top from scraps.

I am so done with them for now. Although I still have a bunch of 2.5 "strips left that I cut for this quilt, in need of inspiration.

17 Likes

It’s so beautiful, but yeah, I can see the desire for taking a break from such tiny pieces!

2 Likes

It’s amazing! And, I am impressed with how quickly you worked it up!

For your 2.5" strips, do you have enough to do a jelly roll race? I first found out about it when my aunt found a video (Missouri Star Quilt Company, I believe) that said you could make a quilt top in 45 minutes! While it took us a lot longer, it was relatively quick (I finished mine in a day, and that was in between helping my mom and my aunt).

3 Likes

I did one of those! It was fast, but I was not trying to win any records or anything…it is so random and turned out fairly nice!

3 Likes

I’ve done one too. I’ve seen a video of a sewing group (think it was a quilting guild/group) doing it and the first person did finish sewing the top in under an hour. (Found the video. They had stitched the strips together before they ‘raced’. Winner took 35 mins!)
Mine took forever, but then I cut my own strips and my machine was slow.
I love the finished article though.

4 Likes

The stitching together the strips took the longest for us because we kept messing up how to put them together. Our diagonal seams didn’t all stay in the same direction :laughing:

Here’s my original (it’s just the top):

And here’s one I made for a swap on the old site. I joined the strips with straight seams because I didn’t want to fuss with the diagonals again :smiley: :

This is the video we used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEJLnaZQOU

14 Likes

How fun! I have done that diagonal one…but seriously, I am not into quilt making for the “speed”…I really do like your straight one…the colors are lovely and the pattern is random but looks interesting!

Nice job on both!

3 Likes

Thanks! We only did the “race” because my aunt thought it would be fun. I think I was the only one who actually finished my top on that day :slight_smile:

I did another one but messed up the measurements so it came out very long and skinny. So, I cut it in half and used one half for the front, and one for the back! I just have to bind it (which I should absolutely do while I’m home until April 6th).

5 Likes

Lol. Umm, yeah, I had that issue too. I even ended up a straight seam at one point, but can’t remember why now.
I then free motioned each stripe (whole width of quilt) separately!

I love both of yours. The blues & yellows have such a fresh feel and I love that the diagonals change in the first one.

3 Likes

@craftADDchick I really like the horizontal one of yours. I have never done one because I’ve never had a jelly roll. I cut all my scraps up into as many 2.5" strips, all of different lengths, and designs. But I’m really sick of working with them now, so they’re shelved for now!

4 Likes