UV Glow Mr Burns Cake

As a kid my son was terrified of this episode of the Simpsons . He turned 25 today so he faced his fears & loved his cake (he requested it)

It is a dark chocolate cake with lemon curd filling (his fav) with a whipped chocolate cream frosting.
I made
Chocolate trees
Glow angel food cake (made by a box of angel food cake mix & tonic water & green food color) as the shrubs
Sugar cookies decorated with royal icing. the light green I used tonic water instead of water so it glows under blacklight.

24 Likes

This is epic!

1 Like

Oh my goodness! This rocks!

1 Like

That is so cool!

1 Like

Eep! I bring you love!
Mama you brought it. Amazing concept & execution. I love how hard he’s smiling too, happy birthday, kid!

2 Likes

Love this! Thanks for explaining how you made it glow; who knew tonic water had such powers?

1 Like

you’re welcome. it is pretty neat. I believe it is the quinine in the tonic water that glows under uv light (not a scientist, just what I read from other not scientists)

a word of warning though; it makes the item a little bitter. The sugar cookie wasn’t too bad because the cookie didn’t have it in & only what was needed to make the icing flow had the tonic water in it. the angel food cake I made was too bitter to eat, so I broke it up & only used a tiny bit as decoration.

2 Likes

Ahahahahaha…I love this!! So interesting about the glow effect!! Awesome all around.

1 Like

What an awesome theme for awesome reasons, executed AWESOMELY! Congratulations to your son for conquering his fear and to you for making this cake so glowalicious!

I have been fascinated by the glow qualities of tonic water for years, but never done anything about it. I mean, I use tonic water, but never in the presence of the correct lighting. Thanks for sharing about the effect of the bitterness on the various components, too!

3 Likes

Love the “special effects” you got from the tonic water. Awesome!

1 Like

This is the coolest cake ever. EVER!

2 Likes

That’s amazing!!!

1 Like

Super cool!

1 Like

What a cool way to make the various bits glow! So simple, too! I was afraid you were going to say it was some specialty frosting additive. Good to know about the taste, though, in case I decide to try this.

1 Like

Congrats! Your UV Glow Mr. Burns Cake is one of this week’s featured projects. :tada:

1 Like

That’s an awesome cake!

1 Like

Wow thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

Congratulations! Your project was one of the Best of 2021! Yoooooou ROCK!

1 Like