Vegan Braided Challah (with recipe!)

No matter how many times I make it, bread still scares me. I wanted to make a brioche-type bread which usually contains eggs and milk. This recipe has a great taste and texture, and perfect crumb. I am very proud of this!

Challah (makes one 4-strand loaf)

Mix all the dry ingredients:
485 grams all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
75 grams sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp turmeric

Mix wet ingredients and heat to 115 degrees F:
6 Tbsp. vegan butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
256 grams water

Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until smooth and gluten has formed (and stretches without breaking). Let rise at room temp. for 1 hour. Chill 12-14 hours, or overnight.

Punch down dough and divide into 4 parts. Roll each part into a rope, and braid into a 4-strand braid. I just followed a photo tutorial I found online. Cover with plastic wrap and proof for 1-1 1/2 hours at room temperature.

Brush with a glaze of maple syrup and non-dairy milk before baking at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Rotate, brush with glaze again, and bake another 18-25 minutes, until dark golden and done.

My roommate at the time made vegan French toast from the challah. Absolutely delicious!

10 Likes

That looks very beautiful AND tasty. I would love to make bread, but I’m a bit chicken to do it. Afraid it will be terrible.

The fear has never gone away for me :rofl:

1 Like

This looks amazing!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

1 Like

Looks so tasty!!

1 Like