Vegan Decorated Sugar Cookies

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d prefer something taste good over looking cute, if I can only pick one. However, if they are both cute and delicious, that’s the ideal! I’ve used this recipe for years:

226 g vegan butter (my preference for baking is the Country Crock avocado oil plant butter)
84 g powdered sugar
1/4 heaping tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
303 g flour

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and salt. Slowly mix in flour until it is all incorporated.

Roll dough between two sheets of parchment paper until 1/4” thick. Chill on a sheet pan until cold and firm. Use cutters of your choice! The scraps of dough can be rolled again between the same pieces of parchment until it is used up. Keep the cookies chilled until baking.

Bake at 350 degrees F until done. (I’m so sorry, it’s really dependent on the oven. 8-10 minutes? A little bit golden around the edges, and starting to firm up in the middle. The cookies will not really spread or rise at all. What you see is what you get!)

I just use a simple powdered sugar icing to decorate:

1 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/4 tsp. flavored extract of your choice

Mix the liquids together, then add to the powdered sugar and beat on a low speed until smooth. You can add a few more drops of water for a flood or dipping consistency, or more powdered sugar for outlining and details. The icing hardens quickly, so keep it covered! Color the icing as needed. (Pro-tip: a tiny bit of white food coloring will make the icing more opaque, and look more like a regular royal icing!)

All of the following cookies were made using these recipes!

24 Likes

I so admire the creativity on here. I could never do this, and if I tried, they would be a hot mess.

1 Like

Looking good! I have never had cookies like that, its not common here in Sweden. But I want to try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! These are super pretty! I tried cookie decorating once. It wasn’t as easy as I thought. This seriously impresses me.

2 Likes

Ack! These are just the cutest!! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, too!

1 Like

Soooo cute!!! Cookie decorating is hard work and my hats off to those like you, who make it look beautiful and tasty at the same time!

1 Like

Gorgeous cookies! <3

1 Like

Love the cookie designs! It’s an art in its own right and you are clearly amazing at it.

1 Like

:fire: :dog: Hot diggity dog! Your delightful craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects :fire: :dog:

1 Like

Oooh, such pretty cookies! Mine would be eaten before I got the change to decorate. :joy:

Love your cookies! :orange_heart:

1 Like

They are all beautiful!

1 Like

These are absolutely fabulous!

1 Like

You have some serious skills! They all look fantastic. :hearts:

My nephew and his spouse are vegan and I want to try to make these cookies minus the incredible decorating. That is far beyond my skill level.

It’s so nice of you to make something for your nephew and his spouse! I’ve got plenty of recipes for vegan baked goods if you ever are looking for something specific.

1 Like