Vegan, Gluten-free Onion Rings!

I made aaaall of these for myself. I have a lot of food restrictions and I’ve been craving fast food lately, so this was my solution.

They’re extra brown becausebecause the batter has lots of flax seeds in it. I wonder if flax still has the health benefits iif it’s been fried. :thinking:

This recipe doesn’t exist on the internet anymore but I kept it in my recipe book. I think it’s a play off of Emeril’s onion rings.

Recipe:
3 cups plant milk
3 tablespoons white vinegar
3/4 cup hot sauce
2 tablespoons “Emeril’s Essence” (that souns so gross. Lol. If you want, they have the mixture info on the net)
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 large onions
High heat oil like safflower or canola
3/4 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Combine plant milk with vinegar, and let sit for 10 minutes to make “buttermilk.”
Combine “buttermilk” with hot sauce, “Emeril’s Essence” and 2 tsp of cayenne. Add onion rings in to coat, then chill in the fridge for an hour.
Preheat the oil in a pan or deep frier to 375 (I did it in my pan on high.)
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, then transfer batter-coated onions into flour mixture. Coat with flour mixture, then fry until light brown.

6 Likes

my jaw hit the floor when I saw these! Onion rings are my weakness!

1 Like

These look amazing! LOL @ “Emril’s essence.” I remember this being a thing!

1 Like

Yeah I just mix up the stuff from an internet recipe. Lol. I don’t want any "secret ingredient " or something… :grimacing: :nauseated_face: :joy:

1 Like

oh-em-gee. ONION RINGS! It’s been ages since I had onion rings… these look great!

1 Like

You had me at gluten free. :star_struck:

1 Like

I love me some onion rings.

1 Like

Yummmm !!

1 Like

This made me laugh. And his essence is super sus

2 Likes

Lol!!! Right? :joy:

1 Like