Victorian-Inspired Tie Dye Lampshade

I got a bug up my bottom, as one does with shiny new ideas, and wanted to make a lampshade. I bought some old lamps at a second hand shop and ripped the fabric off to reveal the delightfully-full-of-possibities frame underneath. I found some videos on Youtube for making victorian lampshades, watched a few and then spent two days working on this little gem. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I learned a bunch and can’t wait to make a dozen more. (It is lined with gold crushed velvet). Also, I did not make the tie dye fabric. I bought it from a fellow artist at my local Saturday Market… I may have bought several pieces… :grin:

Also, my kids had my phone most of the day, playing games, so I missed a lot of progress shots… sorry.

19 Likes

WHOA! You really nailed it on your first try! I can’t wait to see the next dozen!

1 Like

But can we just talk about how that pattern worked perfectly into the frames for each panel? Like, how does that even happen? With Tie-dye??

Fun project and really well done. Go you!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Here is one of the artists tie-dyed hankerchiefs, not cut up. I live in hippy town USA (Eugene, OR), so I am lucky enough to have talented tie-dyers (some have been at it 30 to 40 years), right in my back yard. I also love supporting local artists. It’s hard to cut these up but I know where to find him when the market opens back up in the spring. lol

4 Likes

Thank you! I am looking forward to it too. My plan is to sculpt the bases out of clay and then add handmade shades. I just couldn’t wait to share this first piece.

2 Likes

I have been lugging around a couple frames for years (decades?) wanting to learn to recover them “properly” and you’re really tempting me to look into it for reals in the coming year.

3 Likes

This woman’s videos are what I used. User-friendly and really clear. I want to see what you make! :grin:

3 Likes

Wow, amazing! Can’t wait to see your handmade bases, too.

1 Like

How fun is this??? You took a classic look and turned it into something totally fresh!

1 Like

@Abbeeroad @magpie you HAVE to see this!

1 Like

The rainbowy goodness…Incredible!

1 Like

Stunning! Love the modernization of an old design.

1 Like

That’s a really neat idea!

1 Like

How cool! I love the mixture of tie dye with the fringe. When it’s lit, it reminds me of a UFO and a beam coming out of it. What a fun piece!!!

1 Like

:laughing: How could I miss that? I love it! lol

great job! I love the beads PLUS fringe at the bottom, a tribute to Victorian excess.

where is this crafty market in Eugene? We plan to be in the area this summer.

1 Like

It runs every Saturday from April through early November. It is downtown in the park blocks. Eugene isn’t big, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding your way. :smiley: What will you be out here for, business or pleasure? :laughing:

1 Like

Cool! We’ll be sunbirding in Oregon, escaping the heat of Tucson. We plan mostly to stay near the coast (we’re looking for a rental, if you know of any), but also plan to check out inland areas. We have friends in Salem, too.

1 Like

:sparkles: :purple_heart: :cyclone: Congratulations! Your radiant Victorian-Inspired Tie Dye Lampshade is a Featured Project! :cyclone: :purple_heart: :sparkles:

1 Like