Violently Violet Handspun Yarn

My 5-year old DS said he wanted to learn to spin. So I 3D-printed him a Turkish spindle and bought some BFL roving…and he’s not interested. Five year olds, I swear. Maybe next week. :woman_shrugging:

Whatever. I decided I would play with the wool. I’m trying to get more consistent anyway and I need the practice. Still planning on spinning for a sweater this year.

The thinner I spin, the more consistent I am, and chain plying helps even out the thick and thin areas. I was aiming for sport to DK weight and this is sport weight. It’s 148g and roughly 320 yards.

It’s dyed with Wilton’s violet, purposely split with acid, in the crockpot.

And, because DS2 was mad that I dyed it purple (he hates purple :roll_eyes:), we had to dye something pink. And, because the pink hurts my eyes, I had to dye another portion of this roving green (which was also painfully bright). Add all that to some undyed wool, and it’ll make for a couple nice ombre yarns.

The full pound of BFL:

27 Likes

I’m utterly in awe with those who can spin and dye wool. It’s so beautiful.

1 Like

Those colours…swoon!

1 Like

Your yarn turned out great! The colors are lovely.
I’m so impatiently waiting for my spinning wheel to come.

1 Like

Thank you!

Which wheel did you go with, @MegAskunk?

Is that the Turkish spindle? Yay 3D printing!

I love the purple yarn. Yummy! But that green is um, how can I say this nicely? Oh, I can’t, so I won’t.

It’ll probably be gorgeous when spun and fabricated.

1 Like

Stunningly pretty!

1 Like

Oh, goodness, no. I don’t have the patience to spin this quantity of yarn on a spindle. Here is the Turkish spindle:

Yeah, the green is a tad bright…like neon pond scum. :crazy_face: Very 1980s. If I hate it, I can always over-dye it.

4 Likes

SO pretty! :blue_heart:

1 Like

Oh, so the device with the spool of yarn is probably a yarn spooler, then.

I ended up getting an e-spinner from a shop on Etsy. It’s this one.
Most of the advice I got favored e-spinner over traditional, and I got impatient waiting for the new EEW to be available to the public. This one still has kind of a long lead time but at least my order is in so I know it’s coming!

2 Likes

@MegAskunk, What a cool wheel! The bobbins are so pretty.

@steiconi, that’s actually my wheel! It’s electric, no treadling required. :smile:

1 Like

Beautiful. I imagine it feeling so soft!

2 Likes

This is so beautiful! I love the colors.

1 Like

I love those colours !!! Especially the green and pink.

1 Like

That purple is swoon- worthy! And I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with the pink and green.

1 Like

Thank you!

The pink was a nice gradient, so I spun the single and will chain-ply it to keep that ombre effect.

The green…not so much. I’m planning on over-dyeing it with something - blue, maybe? I’ll be chain-plying it, too. I was trying to spin the whole pound of roving at the same weight/ply.

How beautiful!

1 Like

That is absolutely beautiful! And wow, your yarn! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s all so squishable!! Esp the green!!! The colors are so vibrant!

1 Like