Watercolor birds

After a 12 year hiatus, I decided to get out my watercolors again and see what (if anything) I remembered. I was never very adept at this medium, but I’m hoping to get better. Even in just these few days I feel like I’m beginning to get a better understanding of how watercolor behaves. Here they are in order of completion.

Indigo bunting

Red-backed shrike

Eurasian barnswallow

Western meadowlark

30 Likes

WONDERFUL … birds :heart_eyes:

I’m used to Indigo Bunting being blue, this must be is female.

2 Likes

Beautiful collection of birds! I can definitely see the progression, too.

2 Likes

They are beautiful!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

I love that you can already see your progression. They are beautifully done.

1 Like

These are so sweet!

1 Like

These are gorgeous!!

1 Like

Beautiful! My favorite is the barnswallow. But I love them all!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

@Cindy Yes, I think it is a female. On the original photograph, the markings on the back and top of the head are bluish. And I painted it that way, but my phone camera doesn’t pick up nuance of color very well.

1 Like

These are beautiful! Well done :hugs::hugs:
You can really see your progression between the different birds…at that rate you’ll be a pro in no time!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Watercolor Birds are one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome! :tada:

1 Like

Oh, yay! Thank you!

Look at you grow! They look lovely and I can definitely see an improvement. We’ll done.

1 Like

Gorgeous! They’re done so well and look so beautiful.

1 Like

12 years is a long time, good luck! I really like the barnswallow, but i think the shading on the meadowlark is really nice

1 Like

Thank you, all!

@imera I think I was finally starting to figure out how to achieve shading on that one! I’m hoping to do a few more. We’ll see if that skill sticks!

Good luck :smiley: