Watercolor on Wood Peacock

I decided to experiment with watercolor on a wood section base for the Little Good Things Swap. My partner, @Koreena, really likes peacocks so the subject was obvious and it gave me a chance to use my metallic/iridescent watercolors as a finish! I’m really pleased with the end result. In-person the metallic watercolors give the piece a velvety feel.

Initial sketch:

27 Likes

It is really pretty!

I also love peacocks…You did a great job on the eye…and the shading is lovely…the little bit of sheen adds to the look as well…nice job!

1 Like

Beautiful! Love the non-traditional canvas :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So so pretty!

2 Likes

This is an amazing piece. I’m amazied at the brightness you got from watercolor!

1 Like

So beautiful!

2 Likes

Gorgeous colours in your peacock!

2 Likes

This is awesome. I love that you used a non-standard base.

3 Likes

Wow! Perfect colors, indeed! Thanks for including the picture of your sketch. I love seeing the piece go from initial idea to final piece.

2 Likes

Agree! The eye is perfect! I appreciate the realistic depiction (vs a kawaii).

:metal:

3 Likes

This is beautiful!

2 Likes

That is super pretty, great colours and composition. I love the edge of the wood slice too, makes such a nice organic frame.

3 Likes

Lovely peacock. Nicely done and so creative to use your wood base.

1 Like

Beautiful job painting and love the uniqueness of doing it on wood

1 Like

That’s beautiful!! And so so cool on the wood surface! Did you coat the surface with anything, or did you work directly on the wood?

1 Like

Thank you!

The only prep I did on the wood was giving it a quick wipe down to make sure there was no dust. It’s an interesting surface to work on, the watercolor can still bleed but not as much. It soaks down rather than sideways. I also gave the areas a quick water wash before adding initial color. I layered quite a bit of watercolor, used a light final wash of metallic watercolors, and used gouache and white acrylic ink for the bright whites. When the piece was completely dry I added a matte sealer to protect the colors.

3 Likes

Thank for all the lovely complements! I have some birch sections I’m going to try painting next.

1 Like

That is amazing piece! So gorgeous!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! That is super helpful :sparkles::art:

1 Like

Just wonderful!

1 Like