Watercolour practice - mushrooms and chestnuts

This piece was done painting along with this Youtube tutorial. It was a lot of fun to paint, the artist has lots of great tips and advice in his videos.

There’s some bits I’m not thrilled with, but I really like the overall effect. I’m planning to use some of these techniques in some of my own pieces next.

(Some of you might have seen on the snapshot thread that the lovely and talented @photojenn has also done this tutorial - she’s always an inspiration :smile:)

26 Likes

You both did the same tutorial! I like seeing the differences, how each was interpreted. The background work those lights :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Beautiful! Both you and @photojenn got such great results working with that tutorial.

4 Likes

I keep zooming in to look at all of the details, it came out so great! The shading and shapes of your mushrooms make them look so realistic. I also love how dreamy your background is. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Wow! Just lovely. I love that you guys inspire each other. That dreamy background is just gorgeous!!!

4 Likes

Lovely!

I am glad that you both share your practice pieces as it is so fun to see how alike and how different each piece is! Unique and yet similar…I loved the background on both pieces.

3 Likes

wow. I’m gobsmacked. This is amazing!

3 Likes

This is a practice piece? WOAH!

Stunning!

3 Likes

I love how this is both earthy/grounded and ethereal/magical. Truly very striking.

4 Likes

Thank you friends! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Stunning. Absolutely lovely.

3 Likes

Whew, glad you said Jenn had done the same tutorial because I thought I was going crazy … I saw yours and just knew I’d seen it in the snapshot thread but your name wasn’t beside it :smiley:

3 Likes

This is gorgeous and i love when i learn a skill and can translate it to make my own.

2 Likes

This is great! It looks like a magical gnome home ( my kids call all mushrooms fairy mushrooms…so most fungi are homes for the wee folk in my mind ). Well done!

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful!

1 Like