Watercolour trees

I’ve been really enjoying painting along with some Youtube tutorials by Paul Clark. Some of them can be quite challenging, but I always learn a lot. The thing I like about these two videos in particular, is that the technique is loose and free, so even though you follow along, the painting is never going to look very much like the example - it feels like you’re painting your own picture alongside him, learning his process, rather than copying his picture exactly.

I painted this one following along with this -
How to Paint Sunlight Through the Trees in Watercolour

And this is the other video -
How to paint a spontaneous Autumn Woodland scene in Watercolour

The more watercolours I paint, the happier it makes me!

(The observant may notice that the delightful and talented @photojenn has done her own beautiful versions of these tutorials too!)

31 Likes

I’m so glad you posted these! Your sun rays are gorgeous and you did such a great job getting them to look varied and go behind the trees. And your autumn scene almost has an ethereal quality to it. You’ve done a great job in both pieces getting your trees to look natural and organic.

I agree about Paul Clark’s videos, I always learn so much from him. Your watercolors are always inspirational to me :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you! You inspire me too, my friend :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Whoa. I want to step into the world where these live.

2 Likes

They are both very beautiful!

1 Like

Beautiful!
Thank you for sharing your art and the videos. Now I want to visit these places :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are both beautiful - the sunlight in the first one and the colours of the second one just grabbed my attention.

Do you sign your work?

1 Like

Wow… these are gorgeous!

1 Like

These are stunning!! Thanks for sharing the links! Maybe someday I’ll pretend I can paint and try! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The only way to learn is to start! I’m sure you’d surprise yourself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Magical, beautiful, all the words!

1 Like

These are simply magical! I feel like I’m standing in a sun-drenched forest looking at both of them. I love seeing the pieces you make!

2 Likes

Thank you friends! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes, most of the time. I usually wait to sign things until I frame them, so it lines up nicely if I crop the picture, or sometimes I’ll sign on the back.

With stuff that I’ve painted following a tutorial, or in a class, it depends a bit. For paintings like these two, which are very much my own take on a process/topic, I would sign them. If it is a direct copy of the tutor’s example, or a copy of a work of art (which is a common art exercise), I would write my name and “after” the original artist on the back - although usually those exercises just go in a box for my own reference, so it doesn’t come up.

2 Likes

Absolutely breathtaking. I want to kayak right across that painting. :heart: Your sun rays are just delicious!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Okay, I was looking for a signature with no success and now I know why. I also wondered if you hid it well.

1 Like

These are gorgeous! I absolutely LOVE the first one with the light shining through the trees. Magical!

1 Like

Congrats! This outstanding :star2: project is featured this week! :tada:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I would love to see what you paint - I hope you’ll give it a try!

2 Likes

This is absolutely beautiful! You captured the sunlight perfectly and I love the color blending of the trees.

1 Like