Wee House Craftalong

Well, my child is now talking about “it’s from a my froggy stuff video!” as if everyone should know what that is, & made her father do “craft time” after dinner.

I did the cutting, rolling, & hanger for the hanging plant; she did the coloring & most of the leaf curling. The one on the floor was mostly her talking her father through the process, though she did the dark color for the edges.

3 Likes

awesome craft for children and adults! What are you using for pots? I don’t have glue stick caps like the video shows…I want to make those snake plants but don’t have anything I can think of for pots!

For these, I just rolled a strip of different colored paper around the base & then glued a circle to the bottom. We originally were thinking of using a water bottle cap, but it was way too big for our scale. (Might make a good succulent planter, tho)

1 Like

Thanks! I need to see if I can find mini succulents to make…I have felt and a boatload of green card stock! ha ha

1 Like

This looks great! It’s amazing how versitile paper can be, isn’t it?

1 Like

Okay, so!

I wish to propose a sort of challenge/theme since even if you have to go out into the world things have gotten a little nuts lately and having something to focus on never hurts.

A house is a bit much for most of us to pull out of thin air, so my suggestion is we do a sort of challenge/craftalong within a craftalong with a theme along the lines of “Happy Places” or “Joy” or something to that effect. My idea is that we could each start a roombox, or a whole house if you have one, or repurpose one of those wee kits and use mostly whatever we have at home since we’re meant to be socially distancing.

Scale, size, details are up to each individual. You can make more than one, of course. You could make a whole room of tiny plants if that’s what brings you joy, no judgement :slight_smile:

Inspo from here: make a house for a mouse. I got this email a day or two ago and I thought it was PERFECT for all of us! Plus Ann has a bunch of free tutorials on how to make stuff like miniature cups and plates, a miniature rug, a doll bed from clothes pegs, a miniature quilt to go with it, a miniature stone hearth, a tiny bicorn hat, a tiny top hat and even a free pattern for the wee mice that she made a home for in the recent post.

Use any somewhat sturdy box you can get your hands on or make one, or even just make a scene out of a floor and a back and/or sidewall.

I follow her blog!

What a lovely idea…a smaller scale house instead of a daunting huge one!

1 Like

Quickie plant pot tutorial

1. Make pattern, or resize this one for your needs. S.A. means seam allowance, in this case about 1/2" to overlap.

2. Trace onto cardstock or lightweight cardboard. Add S. A. Two layers make a stiffer pot. This is a single layer of construction paper, which will be too flimsy to use, but it shows the method.

3. Cut out, roll, and glue S.A. Hold with clip while glue dries.

4. Put lots of glue on bottom (narrow end) and place on scrap of paper.

5. Weight and wait while glue dries.

6. Trim off excess base. Paint or cover with paper clay or maybe punched paper shapes.
    Add a plant. Take a blurry picture.

You can use a variety of plastic caps for plant pots, not just glue stick caps; toothpaste caps are especially nice for small pots in 1:12 scale.

3 Likes

Thank you for the tutorial! I love that pot…I don’t have paper clay but maybe I can use your hot glue ideas!

1 Like

Oooh, hot glue, that’s genius! You can mold hot glue in silicone molds to get neat shapes…

1 Like

Here’s a great site for making sophisticated minis from simple materials. Don’t click unless you have an hour to wander through the projects!

1 Like

I added a link to this tutorial post in the top post, I hope that’s alright :slight_smile: It’ll be very useful for people who have never made one before.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks!

1 Like

Ooh, I still have a bunch of her cardboard horses that I printed out 16-to-a-page and never finished cutting & assembling. I should get those out again; I started them as a tiny carry-along project with preschooler, so they should work well as something to leave at the dining room table & do in little bits.

I also finally opened the glue on the tiny greenhouse room kit my husband got me for the Christmas before last. That’s staying up in the loft where no one else goes to avoid getting scattered. It’s interesting, given that it’s a kit with all the bits, but fairly minimal instructions, so while I think it’ll be reasonably soothing to my fried parenting brain, it’s still a bit of a puzzle.

I think I need to order that kit…I have found a new obsession…

14 Likes

AIMR how are you making the little plants themselves?

I took my air plants out of their shell for a deep soak, and now want to keep them out. So now I am thinking of some type of wild, fake replacement plants for the shells they were in.

Yes, I am making them from paper and macrame beads or whatever I can find to use as pots. I am going to make a diorama for my brother since he loves anything miniature.

They are helpful for me to make even smaller ones for the dollhouse I am redoing this summer as well.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see it!

1 Like

Made a planter of hydrangeas:

I’ve donated all of the dollhouses accumulated over the years, knowing full well they were never going to be finished (or even opened in most cases). Sticking to tiny things works right now, so maybe a gnome home is possible.

11 Likes

I can’t even imagine…are all of the flowers in the background miniature as well?

Beautiful…hope my little garden diorama for my brother will have some flowers…I am using a tutorial by @steiconi to make some vines…tiny is not my strong suit, but my brother loves them!

1 Like