Weird Thank Yous for Helping with my Weird Collection

Uhm I think I am in love with your toothpaste collection. It’s fabulously weird. And the cards are an adorable way to say thank you.

1 Like

So colorful and creative!

I would love it if I came across an exhibit like this in a gallery. I honestly and truely hope you will offer to loan your collection out for a show one of these days. It is so view worthy, it really is. It would be fun to make place cards with the location &/ornaments of paste origin. Do you remember where it all came from?

THANK YOU!

@mellybelly81 Ha! That is my very first tube, from 1995, purchased in Costa Rica. Colgate is EVERYWHERE and since I started collecting on purpose, I try to avoid it unless it’s really different - like uses an obvious different alphabet or has a very culture-specific style. That said, in some places it’s hard to find something that isn’t Colgate.

@Magpie In fact every tube has an accompanying label that tells the Name and the country of manufacture/country where purchased. I can’t always read the name of the country of manufacture and I have taken to writing down somewhere the country where purchased, because it’s easy to forget between the time I receive and the time I mount. I modeled the style of labels after my memories from the “rock room” at the science museum of my childhood; I wanted a vintage era natural history museum vibe. I have a couple dozen that need to be mounted, but the frames I use are from Ikea (good size and a really good price for a shadowbox) and we don’t have Ikea here, so I have to wait until I am back in Portland with a car! Hopefully this summer.

I think this collection is going to cause quite a few confused and amused chuckles at whatever thrift store it ends up at when I die.

3 Likes

HA! Those are great! So clever.

1 Like

:smile: What an extraordinary collection! I recognize some German toothpastes. How many more have you got?
My friend’s mother has collected sugar packs for ages. Last year she made it into the local newspaper :smile: I hadn’t known how big her collection actually was until I read it in the paper. But I was proud to have contributed to the collection :see_no_evil:
So I’d be happy to provide some more German toothpastes :grin:

The Mistress T: owner of international toothpastes and the cleanest teefs.

1 Like

Thanks for your enthusiasm, everyone! You can see how I ended up with so many… people are just tickled by it.

@Ewulotta You’re so sweet! I am not exactly sure, but I bet that I have between 80-90. Many aren’t framed yet. I have visited Germany a couple times and am still in contact with my middle school penfriend who now lives in Frankfurt and have several German ones! Also, it seems like Germany makes toothpaste for export to nearby countries from what I can tell. My newest acquisition was made in Germany, purchased in Denmark by my American friend who shipped it from Afghanistan where she currently lives!

1 Like