Whale embroidery for master bath

I spotted this in the Spoonflower embroidery template design challenge and had to stitch it, as I am crafting a number of whale & cat items for the bathroom to match my new shower curtain. But I added some glow items to this hoop - the bathroom has a skylight so it will get “charged” all day (ok, but, rainy Seattle charged, normally - a stretch of pure sunny days in summer!) and then can glow at night and I will see it when I stumble in half-asleep, and it will make me smile.

New curtain:

I used a lot of thread from stash but also indulged in some new variegated thread. And was reminded how much I loathe DMC’s metallics. Such horrible stuff to work with!!! Loved the very delicate shiny light blue thread I got on Etsy. The white thread is glow in the dark!

The clear beads are glow in the dark, supposedly. The blue beads in various shades are from stash.

First i thought of alternating solid blue stitches in various shades but after I did a couple areas like that, I decided to rip it out & go with variegated & a bit of shiny sparkly stuff.

It is difficult to get the sparkly stuff to show on camera. Three of the swirls are shiny, and a few of the long lines.

I did most of this during the INSANE & HELLISH heat wave that shut down the Pacific Northwest (highways buckled! Crops destroyed! It wasn’t just us being wimps!) 2 weeks ago. It was so nice to have something simple & low-stress to occupy my mind during the hot hot hot daylight hours.

I will hang this up today and hope to share glowy photos soon!

18 Likes

Ooh, nice! (One of these is on its way to me also, tho I don’t have such a fantastic shower curtain to pair it with.)

I like the glow thread idea.

1 Like

Ooo! I want to see what you do with it!! I like that we can start with the same thing and end up at such different end points.

2 Likes

It’s beautiful!

1 Like

Perfect for your bath! Your embellishments are inspiring! I really hope it glows in the dark!

Have you tried the new DMC etoile threads? They are my new favorite sparkly thread!

1 Like

Oooooo i hadn’t heard of those! I will try them, thank you so much!

That is a super cool shower curtain and I love your hoop!

1 Like

So cute! Love the kitty riding the whale, too!

1 Like

Love it!! And your whole bathroom aesthetic. XD I’m also planning to buy a fun shower curtain; I think they can really set the tone for the whole room!

1 Like

Exactly - I realized I kept buying cheap ugly curtains & thought … why? This is something I see multiple times a day! Especially working from home! So I decided I deserved something that makes me smile.

2 Likes

I love how you embellished this so dynamically! And I love how in that second-to-last photo mirrors that awesome shower curtain with a cat riding the whale! :rofl:

1 Like

All my embroidery is strictly snoopervised by my two floofs! There’s a bit of them in every project …

1 Like

I hear ya’! It’s not a craft project around here without a dog hair (and not a DIY without some blood).

2 Likes

So pretty! I love the swirls.

1 Like

That shower curtain is hilarious! The hoop will look amazing with it. The glitter thread is perfect with it and the swirls are amazing. Love the pic of your furry helper.

2 Likes