What are you wearing to work?

I’ve been reading up on filters that you can install in your washing machine that filter out almost all of the microplastics out of the wastewater. I haven’t bought it yet but I may. I’m very committed to not buy synthetic clothing but it’s not always possible - sometimes I wear a uniform to work and it’s not plastic-free, and it’s very hard to find bras that are made from natural fibers and are also comfortable. The filter could hopefully reduce the impact of washing those few items that contain synthetic fibers.

We have guppy bags for washing synthetics, they are priced at zero profit just to get them out into the world, or they used to be anyhow.

I just want to avoid supporting that industry as much as possible, even at a 2nd hand level. I’m never going to be vegetarian (we do buy from local farms tho) but this feels so important to me. Like, microplastic, it’s in the water, the soil, breastmilk, EveRYwhEre!

2 Likes

I looked up this thread again, because things have changed in my workplace. Aside from personal issues that I am experiencing right now, a new wind is blowing. And while it hopefully won’t last, for now, things are different.

Things had been getting more casual at work, and I had adjusted to that. I’m not a huge fan of jeans but I definitely wore more of my ‘personal style’ dresses instead of more formal dresses, and occasionally, on days the office was mostly empty, I even wore my favourite Doc Martens Vonda boots. While I know they can’t really hurt me, the new leadership are right now trying to make everyone feel a bit uncomfortable and my guess is, try to make some people leave voluntarily - especially young mothers. I had been showing more of my true personality at work, but that’s gone now. I’m back in business lady mode, unfortunately.

That means, I’ve got a haircut booked for next week, at a really nice salon. I’m not planning a radically different look but I would like a haircut that makes me appear a little bit older / more serious. I’m 33 and look young for my age, especially without make-up. I have a lot of blond hair, I have rosy cheeks, I am starting to get wrinkles but apparantly not a convincing amount yet :laughing: Although I’m sure if I did look old for my age, someone would probably object to that as well.

I am digging up my make-up that I haven’t really worn since Covid. And I’m back to heels and boring work clothes and you name it. I don’t have a lot of items left from my previous workplace so I’m afraid I’ll need to buy a couple of things as well. All because some old man who is close to retirement has decided that things were better in the 1980s and is tired of women and diversity and hybrid working and bla bla. I just need for this guy to realize that I’m not the right person to mess with, and move on to something or someone else (or better - retire!). I try to show respect to everyone, regardless of age or gender or their job, but it’s difficult with this person. He just has not moved with the times and thinks he can reverse almost half a century of social progress single-handedly.

5 Likes

Those old farts still run the world.
My work place is a very nice office in an imposing building right downtown, like at the main intersection. The ladies all dress but the fellas mostly look like tech bros. My direct lady boss takes Tuesdays off & Friday is casual so I wear jeans & a tshirt or sweater twice weekly. The rest of the time I rotate 3 pairs of pants & 2 skirts with maybe 8-9 tops. One med length black cardigan because it’s always freezing. No heels, one pair of simple flat black Clarks. It is SO BORING.

2 Likes

Has anybody tried Ann Tilley’s Magic Pants Pattern? I’m wondering if they can be styled for office wear. I need pants for work that I feel formal enough in but also comfortable.

1 Like