What are you wearing to work?

If I want the shawl to stay put I will either wrap it around my neck like a scarf or tie it on. A triangular shawl that’s big enough (or I guess elongated enough) I’ll cross in the front and tie in the back. Something like this:

Works with any shawl that’s long enough.

There’s always shawl pins too.

But yeah, I have got a pretty lace shawl caught in a filing cabinet at work once :grimacing: It came out with an oil stain but luckily no extra holes…

3 Likes

I’m a teacher. We aren’t allowed to wear jeans. I cheat and buy colored Not Your Mom’s Jeans. I have black, gray, royal blue, red, purple, burgundy, and peach. They are roomy and stretchy in all the right places. I pair them with Clarks flats, which are comfy and professional for a school setting.

3 Likes

I am googling but not finding NYMJ, I am interested!

1 Like

That’s because I gave you the wrong name. :joy: they are Not Your Daughter’s Jeans. Sorry about that. I buy them new or gently used on eBay.

3 Likes

I often wear them kerchief style - looks a bit more modern and can stay in place.

Shawl pins are OK, but I still find myself having to readjust them.

I’ve been loving these leather shawl cuffs. The ones from JUL Designs are gorgeous - but they’re all over Etsy or make your own, if you can leather craft. These cuffs can add a modern look to shawls. JUL Designs also sells these screw in closures. The screws fit in between the stitches, and you can remove the closure to wear with other shawls.

4 Likes

I toss one end over a shoulder, stays put just fine

4 Likes

My work style is pull-on dress pants, usually black, finding ones that are long enough is tough, a sleeveless blouse, I have a good selection I’ve accumulated over the years, and a gray or black sweater. Boring, easy, All washable, and I work in mostly dressy/casual environments. And these days, I do contract work from home, so office visits are rare. It’s always a crapshoot if my pants will fit!
Home office. Jeans, t-shirts, and flannel shirts mostly, maybe a warm vest. Summer, tank top and shorts. I really dress up!

4 Likes

I’d never heard of shawl cuffs, so I googled. Some are leather, others are metal or wood, and some look like fabric or cording. Neat idea!

8 Likes

I try not to draw attention to myself I’m already kinda tall for a woman (5’9”) and I’m already taller than my male boss so I don’t like to stand out anymore than I do but I love wearing heels. I’m also low key ugly so I don’t need anyone looking at me! I’m working on it though, I got Invisalign braces 3 weeks ago and I’ve lost 22 pounds since 1/9/22.

I like wearing things I made but don’t like the onslaught of ”did you make that?” Questions. They make me nervous.

I love the idea of wearing sexy underclothes and honestly if my bra and undies match I feel like I’ve got my life together! Lol!

I like to make shawls and scarves but let’s be honest this is Florida and if I wear one it won’t last all day.

ETA-and we have no dress code at work, jeans whenev even if they’re holey. The girl beside me wears work out clothes on the daily. That’s a little too casual for me

3 Likes

Hey! You be kind to my beautiful friend! :rage: :heart:

3 Likes

Embrace it! I’m 6 feet tall - there is not amount of slouching that will make me not stand out. If your boss has a problem with how tall you are, that’s on him not on you. wear heels if it make you feel good. people say things about how tall you are because THEY have an issue.

right?!?! You have be kind to yourself. I’m looking at @bethntim ‘s icon and thinking "what is she talkin’ about?!!?"

4 Likes

I’m past retirement age and still working, so I can wear anything! No need to be fashionable or up to date. I go for business comfy. No binding clothes anywhere. And since my feet complain easily, flats with ortho inserts. Never liked high heels, and I no longer can fit in any of my old dress-up shoes.

4 Likes

Oh, we laugh about it all the time!

I actually wish I was taller, I’d love to be 6 feet!

4 Likes

I’m just over 5’9" but have come across as taller and when I worked in offices or was attending business meetings as a painting contractor, I would almost always wear heels so everyone thought I was 6’ tall and I loved it! For awhile I worked in a small group of 4 with another woman who was probably 5’1" or so and 2 guys who were 6’6"! I had never felt short before! At one office I wore flat sandals one day and came out of my cube to meet a group of guys for work (it was almost alllll guys) and they were gobsmacked and momentarily speechless that I was actually only a little taller than most of them. :rofl: I was like you know that wearing high heels is like standing on your tip toes, right? Which makes you taller, right?

6 Likes

I’m about 5’7" which is “tall for a girl”. Lol

I like this batik skirt @tendstowardschaos posted & wonder if I could get away with something similar at the office. I am itching to colour up my wardrobe!

If you do use this pattern, you may have to lengthen it. If I wear it at my natural waist, it’s just the right length in flats…and, at 5’2" (29" inseam), I’m “short for a girl.” :wink: But, you’re an ace with clothes so I doubt that would be a problem.

1 Like

Ooh, thanks for the advice!

1 Like

I don’t wear dresses because I can’t worry about little children looking up my dress while I teach/fetch books from the shelves (school librarian).

You’ve seen my novelty print me-made shirts! I have jean-like pants in all colors–once I find a pair that fits I buy all the colors. (We aren’t allowed to wear regular blue jeans.)
I wear novelty socks every day. They usually go with the theme of whatever shirt I’m wearing.

And sometimes I switch it up and wear a plain shirt with a ridiculous sweater.

3 Likes

I really, really would love dressing like that at work. Super fun!

2 Likes

I had mostly weeded out synthetic fibers from my closet but finding work appropriate clothes at the thrift store means mystery fiber sometimes. I’m really committed to keeping them out of circulation though, this article reminded me today about how they contribute to environmental microplastics.
I’m eyeing my craft supplies too.

1 Like