What do you call this?

So, my best friend has a blanket her grandmother made for her for her wedding. It looks like a plain woven blanket with yarn sewed/wove into patterns? Or is it just all woven?

Do you know what this craft is? How do I make this? I’m not sure if it’s a regional craft or not. Her grandma is Mexican and lives in Mexico.

Ideas? Thoughts? I’ve never seen anything like this.

7 Likes

So pretty! Looks like the blanket was used as a sort of needlepoint background. Cool!

1 Like

Wow, that is gorgeous! I agree with Magpie, it looks like a plain woven blanket that then had needlepoint added to it. The attention to detail with splitting the threads in the back so there weren’t any floats is amazing.

2 Likes

I believe this is called a “sarape” , I grew up in the southwest and if I’m remembering correctly they are made on a vertical loom and many of the designs are embroidered in after the fact!

5 Likes

Don’t know what it is, but it’s gorgeous!

1 Like

I recognize this and made a sample in a class years ago. The class I took was advertised as Swedish weaving and the fabric is called huck fabric. Not sure if it’s exactly the same as this or just a similar technique.

It’s fun to do, you’re using a needle but you’re basically weaving the thread through the fabric. This blanket is a treasure, it’s absolutely stunning.

3 Likes

You’re right!! I looked up more pictures and I’m 99% sure that it’s Swedish weaving/huck fabric. I ordered some books from the library so I’ll hopefully be learning more soon. Thank you so so much! I knew someone on here would know! Lol

4 Likes

I’m going to have to look that up, I’m only familiar with Swedish lace and huck lace, neither of which are anything like this structure. I’m curious if it’s woven as plain weave and the pattern wefts are inlayed while it’s on the loom or if they’re added later. I’m also curious how there aren’t floats on the back, it doesn’t look like a multi-layer structure but maybe it is? I’m very intrigued!

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can find my sample or a scrap of that fabric. It all makes sense when you see it up close. The threads are woven through the fabric with a needle.

@Whistlefish it’s fun to do and not difficult! Not sure why I never made more than that sample. Once you get the technique the possibilities are endless.

2 Likes

I have a friend who makes these, she calls them Monk’s Cloth Afghans. I have one that she made and it’s absolutely beautiful! I’ll post a picture when I get a chance. Here is an explanation that she gave me when she gifted me the afghan. She gets her monk’s cloth at Joann’s.

5 Likes

Oo! Thank you! I’m glad it’s available at Joann’s. I’m thinking of making my soon-to-be nephew one for his baby blanket. I wonder if I could dye the monks cloth first…:thinking:. It looks like all cotton. I’d have to check.

2 Likes

I just have to say that is some beautiful penmanship right there. I am appreciatively jealous. My chicken scratch holds no candle… and I spent my formative years in a catholic school- I have no excuse!

2 Likes

Assuming that technical words are asking if the colour pattern is woven on or added later. It’s added later. Needle and yarn.

2 Likes

Here are some pictures of the blanket I have. My friend, Marlene, has made a ton of these afghans. She had told me she was going to gift me one and let me choose my favorite, I was astounded when she opened her linen closet and it was full of these blankets! She’s really talented and has put a lot of time into making these afghans.
She offered to teach me how to make them, but I am so busy with the crafts I have, I don’t feel like I have the time to add something new. Maybe I should rethink that…

5 Likes

This is beautiful!! Is it variegated yarn? Thank you so much for sharing pictures of the blanket! I love it.

1 Like

Huck Weaving. It’s beautiful. You’re a lucky recipient. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, it’s variegated yarn. I love the effect it has on the blanket!

Oh my! These are absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like