What do you make

…with just a yard or two of gorgeous cotton print?

I just bought MORE fabric from a guy closing his shop, and I don’t want to just store it until I die (or move, whichever comes first).

What’s your favorite use for fairly small cuts of fabric?
Do you have a source for free online patterns?

2 Likes

I am having the same problem…

I found this site and will be making some of the items, but, I still have hundreds of yards…

Things to sew

5 Likes

I usually make zipper pouches and drawstring bags because I use them for keeping projects and miscellaneous stuff corralled. And sometimes storage baskets if I’m in the mood…

@AIMR that list of patterns looks handy!

I’ve long made peace with the fact that my stash will outlive me :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Pillowcases?

2 Likes

I usually just make a stash XD I will do simple tote bags. I will find other pieces (or buy things) to put together into a quilt or wallhanging.

2 Likes

I decided to see if I had fabrics I could combine.
First, I think I need to reorganize them…

Organized by type and color, and neatly folded:

And everything else:

It’s spread all over the living room. Good thing hubby’s out of town. I’ve got until Tuesday to clear it out.

5 Likes

Which means you have till Tuesday to acquire more fabric :wink:

3 Likes

Actually, hubster told me about the sale, and he won’t be back for another week.
But our card club is coming Tuesday, and we play in the living room. One of them also sews, and I wouldn’t put it past her to try to get me to share! Gotta hide it before she gets here.

Anybody have suggestions for places to donate sewn items? The guy selling the fabric showed me his scrapbook of quilts he has donated, makes me want to do something nice.

3 Likes

I second the pouches. I use small ones to keep my tools corralled in my bigger project bags. Scissors, hooks, small tape measure, embroidery thread bobbins, etc.

2 Likes

Mug rugs, table runners, quilts, skirts, reusable shopping bags.
And think about donations. Women’s shelters always need nice pouches (filled with feminine or personal hygiene products).
Animal shelters always need blankets (mini quilts).
Masks, lots of masks are still needed in shelters and schools.
And speaking of women’s shelters, any baby or kid-based items are always appreciated.
Nursing homes love lap quilts.

4 Likes

I am envious of your access to this sale and also relieved I don’t have the burden of the temptation! :rofl: If there was a good print for TheMisterT and 1.5 yards, I’d make him boxer shorts. Cloth napkins, drawstring gift bags, dog accessories, pouches, pillowcases if I had enough for two or something appropriate for our nieces (single bed sleepers).

2 Likes

We just re-oiled the teak dining table which was SUCH a pain. As much as I’d prefer not adding to the laundry pile I’m really considering place mats & cloth napkins. Smaller pieces of fabric could yield a fun mish-mash of patterns, that’d make it easy to replace any that got too junky to use too.

4 Likes

I really like this stand up pencil case but it’s a bit of fussy work. Great result though & so practical for school or travel. It could be good for workshops where you have to bring your own bits & bobs.

4 Likes

Some cool ideas, thanks!
I’ve sorted all my fabric, earmarked some for giving away and some for project to give away. I’m clearing off my work tables. I’ve even researched local women’s shelters and what they want.
So, basically, I’ve successfully avoided actually sewing for three days and counting.

3 Likes

That’s awesome @Magpie! I can see that as a good overnight toiletries bag, just throw in your toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant.

@steiconi - this is the place to get inspiration. That is way more important than actually doing the things :wink:

2 Likes

Here a whole yard is good for adding a skirt to a t-shirt for a no-fuss t-shirt dress (& then you can do patch pockets in another fun fabric!)-- or for my kid, half a yard is plenty. My other go-tos at the moment are masks, kid clothing, snack bags, zippy pouches, and patches for mending.

Alternately, if you have two or more fabrics that go together well, color-blocking a larger pattern could work well.

2 Likes

Yeah, one reason I spread the fabric all over the living room was to come up with sets of fabric to use together. I managed to come up with 4 or 5 sets combining favorite bold prints with a few subtle prints.

I’d like to do garments, but I’m not sure what.

2 Likes

Aprons for inspiration or if you follow patterns the site www.sew4home.com lots of other free sewing ideas there.
Combined cotton fabric with linen, sew tea towels.
Table runners.
Bed runners.
Cloche/hat to keep teapot warm.
Eternity scarfs from batiks.
Cocktail napkins.
Picknick cloth with pockets.
Bags, clutches add silk linings and a big bead to zipper.
Pillowcases to use up stash. Blocked pillowcases to combine fabrics.
Doll clothes.
Doll house curtains, tablecloths etc.
Free patterns at www.allfreesewing.com
Advent calendar with 24 little bags to put gifts into.
Wine bottle gift bags,
Kitchen cafe curtains with ribbon ties.
Cosmetics bags. Applique a lipstick or powder box.
Garlands stuff with batting add aromatherapy oil for scent.

1 Like