What kind of crochet hook do you use?

My mom also used to wrap the thread around her fingers, which is why she probably had perfect tension…I can’t do that either!

She won first place in many crochet contests…she was always crocheting something, usually tablecloths or doilies made of practically string! She started one yarn afghan and hated it. Unfortunately, she picked the worst and ugliest yarn ever so I basically tossed it out…I tried finishing it but it was horrible.

2 Likes

Best I’ve done is 2nd place!

2 Likes

My mom asked me years ago who taught me to crochet and I said ‘I thought you did’ ‘Couldn’t have been me’ she said, ‘because of how you hold your yarn.’ She, too, wrapped her fingers and I don’t.

2 Likes

How can you crochet without wrapping your fingers with the yarn…?!?

2 Likes

I just kinda hold it in my left hand. I use my pinky and pointer finger to keep the tension good. I don’t wrap it around or anything. Just kind curl the 2 fingers around the strand of yarn. I’ll try to take a pic of how I hold it.

2 Likes

I yarn wrap and hook hold both ways, maybe even 3 ways, I change when my fingers feel tired or anything in my hand aches. I will hold instead of wrap if the yarn is sticky, or like doesn’t pull easily. I’m flexible with technique but also, alas, not bistitchual

This is the set I sent curiousfae, as a prize in the Crochet Shawl-Along.

2 Likes

I hold my hook like you showed too! I can crochet both ways though.

I don’t wrap the yarn, just hold it between a few fingers. That works for me :smile:

Jennie, what a nice prize to win! The hooks look very comfortable to use and I love all the different colours!

I use old fashioned (just metal) Prym hooks.
I hold mine like a pen, so I don’t like the ergonomic ones.