What kind of crochet hook do you use?

I lost the bulk of my crochet hooks. I’ve always been a Susan Bates kind of girl; but in looking for a new set, I was looking at some of the ergonomic sets and they are all the smooth type. Am I being a wuss not using a smooth hook? Or does anyone know any ergonomic sets like the Bates hooks?

2 Likes

I can’t remember who, but someone on Deadster got me using the Amour hooks. I love them. Never going back.

5 Likes

I never thought I’d be a hook snob, but since getting my first Clover Amour hook, I’m quite literally hooked. Not only is the handle nice, but the feel of the metal hook when crocheting is amazing. It’s like soooo smooth.

I got my first one with a 60% off coupon at joanns to try it out, to see if I’d like it, and have purchased all the hooks sizes I regularly use.

3 Likes

Yeah, admittedly they can be slightly pricey to buy them all, either one by one or as a set. But I love how they feel in my hand, how much they reduce my hand and joint fatigue, and the various colors of the handles which helps me find the one I want. I did send @curiousfae a similar non-namebrand set from Amazon, which was in the range of $18-20 for the whole set, plus some extra notions. Not sure how she thinks they compare to the Amour.

2 Likes

I am also a Bates crochet gal. I started with steels when I was younger and moved into the aluminum ones later and still use them. I did buy a set of the amour with the nice colored rubber handles from KnitPicks at about $54 per set. To be honest, they feel too heavy in my hands…I think it is because of the way I hold the hook…I tried but I just don’t like the texture or feel…I think you are just going to have to try one for yourself…everyone is different…and as is being said, you can wait for a coupon and get one for a lot less to see if you want to invest further.

3 Likes

As for my 2 cents:
I started with the metal crochet hooks, and I will finish with the metal crochet hooks! :yum::yarn:

I have a set of the clear plastic colored ones, and I just don’t like the feel of them, I don’t feel as in control of my stitches when I use them. The same with the ones with any kind of ergonomic grip.

I’ve also tried the ones that have the light on them, and I immediately got a migraine!

I’ve never tried wood (i.e.-bamboo), but I imagine I probably wouldn’t like those either. :grin:

Perhaps keep your eye out at garage sales, ebay, and thrift stores to see if you find any there for you to try out. If you are on Freecycle, you can request that specific item and if someone has it, they’ll contact you. Good luck!

2 Likes

I’m not stuck on a certain brand but have decided I like a cushioned handle best and all the ones I own have a metal hook.

I used to use metal hooks for crochet thread and plastic ones for yarn but now I’m about comfort in the handles.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of the Clover Amour hooks. I used to use the metal ones but found the Amour hooks allowed me to crochet longer before my hands began to hurt.

2 Likes

I have a hodgepodge of all different kinds and brands of crochet hooks. Just fickle, I guess!

I have a couple of Boye brand with soft-grip handles that are pretty comfy. My absolute favorite to use, is probably a Furls hook that my son got me for Christmas a few years ago. It has a “bulbous” grip that is incredibly comfortable to hold. I think it was probably expensive, and it is a joy!

My favorite hook to look at was also a gift (which has since tragically gone missing, alas!) from my son. It was a one-of-a-kind handmade wooden hook that was a Harry-Potter-style wand on the other end! It was a little unwieldy to actually use. But it was just about the coolest gift ever, since it was a combination of two of my favorite things!

3 Likes

I have a full set of clover amour hooks from the kids & daddio last year but I am ambivalent about them. They are just ok. The sort I really like best are clover soft touch, the gold and black ones. I have 3 sizes and can’t seem to find any more here. Michael’s used to carry them but not for at least a year.

1 Like

I grew up using the metal hooks (clover maybe) but this has become my favorite set @MistressJennie! The cushions are just the right size and have the perfect amount of give for me. I love em!

1 Like

I used Clover hooks for a couple of years but then my lovely partner bought me a complete set hooks for Valentines day! I am hooked on my new hooks.

I have a cute pink set of Tulip hooks. With needles and little scissors the set is easy and complete. I always take it with me on holiday

I think it really is very personal. I got hooks like Addi Swing but that really doesn’t work for me at all!

2 Likes

Personally I love my Susan Bates hooks. I like a pointier hook with a deeper spot to pull the yarn with. I find the Boyle ones not deep or pointier enough. This makes me very nervous to try the Clover ones because from what I’ve seen they aren’t the style I like. I was given, YEARS ago an interchangeable set from Provo. They came in a purple case. They are very similar to the Susan Bates ones. However, I’ve never found them again :frowning: I do have a set of light up ones I use from time to time with dark yarns at night, because, well I"m getting older and sometimes it’s hard to see. I only use them for specific yarn as they aren’t as pointy as I like in a hook. I had a full set of bamboo as well once up one a time. I found the yarn didn’t move as smoothly on them as I wanted. So I sold the whole set. As for the acrylic hooks, when working with acrylic yarns, yes I like acrylic yarn, they squeak. Drove me up a wall!

Good luck finding what you like!

3 Likes

You are so right! I can’t stand using the acrylic ones because I can almost feel that sound…makes my teeth clench just thinking of it!

Funny how there are as many pros and cons as there are people who crochet, right? We are all just odd birds with different tastes when it comes to what tools we like…ha ha …ugh, that squeak…brrr.

4 Likes

Oh man that squeak! I can hear it even now, set my teeth on edge!
You are right there are as many opinions on hooks as there are people who hook.
I was able to grab a part set of the Susan Bates hooks the other day at Micheal’s on clearance. I"m going to get some filmo and try to make some handles with them.

2 Likes

I don’t like the feel or the weight of any kind of handles. Do you hold your hook like a pencil?

lol…I also knit and am sure there would be the same differing opinions about knitting needles! ha ha

1 Like

I hold it like so. I’m not bistitchual

1 Like

Yes. And YES.

2 Likes

I hold mine like a kid would hold a spoon. My mom did a lot of fine thread crochet and hated that I held it like this…she held it like a pencil and could go so fast!

2 Likes

That’s how I hold mine too. My youngest DIL also crochets and I just asked her to show me how she holds her hook and it’s like a pencil. I tried for a couple stitches but you can’t teach an old dog new tricks :smiley:

2 Likes