What to do with LOTS of vanilla

Went to Mexico a couple of weeks ago, and bought a half liter of vanilla. Decided that wasn’t enough, so I bought another bottle on my next trip. Didn’t communicate well with hubby, and HE bought two 1-liter bottles. And he got a much better price; $10/liter.
So now I have THREE liters of very nice Mexican vanilla.

Got a great use for vanilla? I put it in my coconut milk, in coffee, on oatmeal, but I don’t use all that much of any of those.

6 Likes

lol I used to buy loads of vanilla beans from the Caribbean…used it to make homemade kahlua!

Good luck…that is a lot of vanilla! Maybe bottle some and put them in some sort of gift basket with cookie recipes? Vanilla pudding? Cake?

2 Likes

Lovely gift item, personalized labels

2 Likes

Maybe donate one to a women’s shelter? Or open a milkshake shack? I used to bake a lot, but I can’t imagine going through that much vanilla in my lifetime!

4 Likes

Put it out in a shaker and use it instead of salt from now until the end of time?

3 Likes

I agree with the gifting idea. I know I would never use that much vanilla, either… yowza.

1 Like

Vanilla extract also keeps for basically ever & gets better as it ages, so having a lifetime supply in the back of the pantry isn’t going to hurt anything.

3 Likes

ooh, yeah, say more things like this.
I’ve been going through about a pint a year, so this is really only a 6-year supply, and even less if I step up my game.

I was really hoping someone would post a fabulous low-carb recipe that requires so much vanilla that they can’t afford to make it except for very special occasions…

2 Likes

I think I’m going to make vanilla liqueur with stevia instead of sugar. The recipes call for infusing vanilla beans in alcohol, but that’s basically what I have already…

You might want to check the shelf life of stevia vs. sugar for the liqueur…I know that some sweetners go “bad” after a while.

1 Like

I never knew that. I’ll drink it fast. :innocent:

a quick google says stevia is good for at least 4 years, but a review of several sources didn’t reveal what happens after that, so I’m guessing that “4 years” is one of those made-up numbers, like drinking “8 glasses” of water per day.

1 Like

Vanilla liqueur, cream, and a shot of diet coke…you’ve got yourself a Texas MF! Yummy!

1 Like