What to do with that Junk Drawer

I made this many years ago. I sold 4 of them at a show. My X-craft partner priced them at $30 EACH. I was embarrassed but heck, made/sold 2 more, lol.
I started with a cigar box that a smoke shop who sold cigars sold me for $2 ea. I litterly emptied a junk drawer and put E6000 to work. I called each friend and asked for their junk drawer, lol. I ran out of friend junk so for the last 2 boxes I asked several “key makers” for their boo-boo keys. Can you say free?
I spray painted the entire box one color. I’m rustic/vintage minded so off white was a no brainer.

Is this fun or what?

11 Likes

I bet these were fun to make!

1 Like

Those are cool! How fun is it to find neat little things to add to the boxes? And a fun and interesting piece to look at and see what you can identify.

1 Like

It would be great to make these, just to deplete the junk drawer!

2 Likes

Ha ha Now I am going to be asking friends for their junk drawer…but, I usually have enough of my own!

I love making these as well, and actually have a few boxes ready to be done. Not sure I could sell mine…I sort of get attached to the items!

I am going to try a light color as I like that it shows off the junk!

1 Like

It’s like an eye-spy box. You could look at it all day and find new things!

1 Like

I was constantly asked “what do you use them for?” With my sweet crap-eatin’ grin I say “uh, junk”, lol.

Please post your progress.

1 Like

I am plan to make memory boxes. I am in a swap with someone who is making me some focal pieces to start the assemblages. I am excited to make them. I think making pasta and bean collages in my school days started all of this… :grin:.

I use them for my own amusement…not everything has to be useful.

1 Like

I love these! I wish I would have seen this sooner! I always want to make whimsy art but can’t fathom sacrificing my precious minis and I just destashed all my (what would have been perfect) junk a few months ago! Whomp whomp. I guess the junk collection will just cycle again, so its only a matter of time. :joy:

Love your composition of the junk and the color choice! This project is so pleasing to my novelty loving brain.

1 Like

Thrilled to inspire you. Tips: Before you throw anything away, think Junk Box. Don’t be shy to pick up things off the ground/street. (saying Ewww is acceptable, lol)

2 Likes

You’re right.
Our inspiration was an old “moonshine” type jug that sat on the mantel of a small run-down restaurant that Hubs and I went to for years. It had the coolest stuff that sometimes was tough to identify. I pulled the jug each time we went there.
Sadly the restaurant is now a flat concrete eyesore for cars to drip a different kind of grease on. I was going to do a junk tribute on the lot. I never got to tell the owner how much we enjoyed the jug. Hubs squashed the idea saying that, “I just needed to let it go.”

Anyone else have a hard time letting go of great ideas?

1 Like

Super fun! It’s so cool to make something creative instead of just binning all those weird little bits :smile: