What to paint on an oval canvas?

I just got an oval 8x10 canvas and I don’t know what to paint on it. My mom said it could be used for portraits or scenery but I would like to have more ideas on it.

Does any one have an idea on what I could paint on this oval canvas?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Oval feels romantic and old fashioned to me, so something romantic or Victorian. Florals, portraits of people or pets, maybe a house or interior.

On the other hand, it might be nice to create contrast by painting something modern.

4 Likes

That’s a really cool idea, I might try that. I haven’t done flowers before, hmm? :thinking:

1 Like

For some reason japanese them jumped into my head:

1. image
  2. image
  3. image

(Not my art. Picked from a Google search)

1 Like

It’s good that you are thinking of proportion and what would be suitable for the shape of your canvas.

I agree with @steiconi that florals would be lovely.

Modern paintings on ovals are also nice…here is an example by Piet Modrian

2 Likes

That’s a really neat idea! Thanks for sharing with me!

1 Like

Ooh, a classic shadow silhouette!

1 Like

These are round, but you get the idea…

7 Likes

Along the lines of the silhouette, maybe first fill the entire canvas with whatever abstract colorful painting you feel like doing, and THEN paint the silhouette on top – either turning the background or the silhouette itself a solid color and leaving the rest colorful.
(One cheat for silhouettes is to cut a picture of the size you need out of a magazine, or print it off the computer, and stick it to the canvas temporarily with some loops of tape. Then paint over the cut-out shape to cover the whole canvas, and remove the cutout when dry to reveal the solid/empty area it was masking. You can also do this after covering the canvas with a first layer of paint, so that first layer is what shows up when you remove the cutout. Here is a simplified tutorial; I know yours would look a lot nicer than this: https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/crafts/how-to-make-silhouette-canvas-artwork-for-a-child-s-bedroom)

Also, I’m thinking about vines around the edges for an oval shape?

4 Likes

I was think of doing something like that. I think that it would turn out pretty good.

1 Like

I like that technique!

1 Like

I love this Balzer video using masterboards & masks, it’s brilliant & such gorgeous results.

2 Likes

I’d say a monster, but that’s the only thing I paint, so I’m not a good person to ask! :slight_smile:

1 Like