What's cookin', good lookin'?

I love this!! Super cool upgrade.

1 Like

Oof! shaking because I’m in so much pain, and with that should not have tried to make a couple batches of aloo paratha…I think I got more potatos on the counter than in the parathas. :roll_eyes:

PPPPPPpppppppp! I knew I didn’t feel up to doing it, but my tongue gets what my tongue wants…:rofl:

8 Likes

Nice browning on those parathas, they look very tasty.

We did a costco run after work & even though that’s exhausting all the food stuffs get me wanting to cook. A big pot of pasta sauce & another of bean, beet, beef soup later, I’m ready to collapse into bed :sleeping:

I got smart & started freezing cilantro sauce so there’s always some on hand. I need delicious lunches for work or I will eat garbage take out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I couldn’t wait for it to chill…

1+1/2 c. milk
1 c. heavy cream
8 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 pinches of nutmeg (needs more, :grin:)
1/2 c. butter (didn’t need this much. 2 Tbls or 3 at best, or none at all, :no_mouth:).
1/2 c. sugar
6 slices, shredded, of a french brioche.

caramel glaze: 1/4 c. sugar and 2 tbls water.

baked at 325° in a water bath for 1h 15m.

I wanted it extra thick, so I tried to put in more…still not thick enough for my liking, :rofl:.

I’m still debating on putting it outside (it’s about 31° right now, heh).

Edit:

Uh oh! it’s chilled…and if I top it with some ground nutmeg…it’s…sooooooo…gooooooooooooooood…My tummy aches…I really need to stop making this stuff…:no_mouth:

9 Likes

Wow that looks amazing. Is it like a flan?

1 Like

Yep! Sorta! Sure! Kinda! Definitely! A bit!

Pretty much just threw things together as a mish mash of the Budin de Pan and Lazy Microwaveable Bread Pudding.

Today’s verdict? It’s still really good, and I’m kind of really digging (liking) the added grated nutmeg sprinkled on top of it rather than baked in it. I still think I over did it with the butter, but after setting overnight…Well, I’m not crying about it, :rofl:.

4 Likes

I made a big batch of Three Sisters Stew. Well Two Sisters since I didn’t use any type of squash.

I got the original recipe from a site that seems to be defunct now but I found it on the way back machine.

It’s really flexible and there are tons of recipes out there for it.

here’s the original one I used:
2 cups onions, diced
6 cups water
2 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added (14.5-oz. can)
6 cups red skinned potatoes, cubed
1 can tomato sauce, no salt added (15-oz. can)
1 cup corn, frozen
1 cup yellow squash, diced
1 can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (15.5-oz. can)
1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (15.5-oz. can)
½ can quick cooking barley
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ teaspoon black pepper

In a large stockpot, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Serve immediately.

Here’s my version for today:

6 cups chicken broth
1 can rotel (diced tomato with green chilies)
1 can tomato sauce
2 cup scorn, frozen
1 can canelli beans, drained and rinsed (15.5-oz. can)
1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (15.5-oz. can)
1 cup quick cooking barley (I prefer the not quick cooking barley but couldnt fine any that didn’t cost $10)
1 can sliced carrots
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
bay leaf
smoked paprika
spinach on its last legs that needed to be used

In a large stockpot, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

I do like it better with the potatoes but I didn’t feel like going to the store and used all pantry items on hand.
and I like how versatile it is. I’ve used lentils instead of black eyed peas. or rice instead of barley (for some reason I’ve had a hard time finding decently priced barley).etc.

9 Likes

Ooo…this looks hearty and delicious.

I recently saw online about people eating cinnamon rolls with chili. We never did. we always had it with crackers or cornbread. it blew my mind when I found out people ate it with rice or pasta lol.

2 Likes

My brain is broken. The only thing I’ve ever eaten with cinnamon rolls is more cinnamon rolls.

2 Likes

Breakfast was egg in a basket

What does everyone else call this?
I’ve mostly heard it called egg in in a hole or egg in a basket. I’ve also heard it called toad in a hole but I’m sure our neighbors across the pond would disagree with that!

9 Likes

Egg in a basket…

I eat chili with rice and put kimchi on top…

So you’ve poached an egg inside bread? Toast?

I’ve never seen this before.

And no, not today in the hole as we know it. That involves sausages baked in batter mix, delicious autumn / winter food!!

1 Like

You heat your pan, throw in some butter and melt. Cut a hole in the bread. Put the bread in the pan and then crack an egg in the hole. Season with salt and pepper. Cook a minute or so. Flip and cook a bit longer.

So basically frying the bread and the egg together.

And fry the cut out piece too.

2 Likes

We call it a bullseye!

2 Likes

So if I have pre-prepared meat, I can make cheesesteaks! Woot! We buy a big box of Philly’s Best Cheesesteak meat that is all ready to go into the skillet, just add onions and spices. Our local Business Costco sells it.

We also have been using said meat for DIY Pepper Lunch (one of my favorite restaurants). Here is the recipe:

3 Likes

That looks very tasty!

The man cooks that dish and OMG so good. The only thing the restaurant has over his version is that we don’t sear the rice and toppings, just dump it on rice and add cheese on top. Omnomnom

1 Like

Made this tonight, recommend!

5 Likes

In Hebrew it’s called egg in a nest (and probably has other names too). Yours looks yummy :yum:

1 Like