When you find out a friend is having open heart surgery on Tuesday

Please excuse the cat hair encrusted pillow beneath Jabba, lol. and Matt’s arm, lol. I made this for a friend that we all just found out was having open heart surgery for a quadruple bypass, possibly quintuple, on Tues…the date got moved up so that they could get her in and out before the COVID deluge…Scary shit man…she’s only 5 years older than me at 55, which I think is still VERY young! So fingers crossed for smooth surgery and swift recovery. <3

On the topic of scraps and using up the stash…Back in January, I took my color sorted bins of scraps out and cut them into 5" squares, and 2.5" strips, and hauled them off to the “Star Wars House”. I hate to not have a project when I’m here, so I thought this was the perfect way to use them up and make quilts from them, instead of letting them accumulate even more.

So I made a pink and purple quilt right before this, that used literally everything I had in the way of cut up scrap purples, and I don’t have some crazy vast stash here. Just all these cut up scraps, and a very few pieces of larger fabric, and a few sub boxes I’d never integrated into the main stash. So I searched every crevice of those sub boxes, and scraps to come up with enough purple to make this, lol. I am so glad I sent those subscription boxes, because they saved the day lol.

Stay home & safe ya’ll <3

20 Likes

That turned out great! I need to add a pixelated image quilt to my list of future projects.

1 Like

That is so sweet of you to make this for your friend. The size is misleading. Once you notice the arm holding it, its big! Lovely colors.

3 Likes

You know, it’s funny you say this. I hang all my stuff up on Jabba for pics if I am in the Star Wars house, and I also thought this looked super small. I actually ended up adding another row of blue squares on all 4 sides because it felt small to me, and THEN I measured it, lol…not before…no no…AFTER lolololololol. Ridiculous, but I agree, it’s deceptive unless you have a size perspective in shot, lol. It’s about 70x70.

1 Like

This is lovely and heartfelt. Best of luck to your friend. I hope this quilt offsets the added stress of the timing a bit.

Also…I love that you have a “Star Wars House.”

2 Likes

this is the coolest! And a Start Wars house?!? Come on! I gotta see more

1 Like

I hope your friend is okay. Scary, indeed!

And I love the unexpected pops of red below. Great job!

:heartbeat:

1 Like

This is absolutely beautiful! Sending good thoughts your way that your friend recovers quickly.

1 Like

This is so beautiful. Healing healthy vibes to your friend.

1 Like

Way to show the love! This is the sweetest. Totally beautiful too.

1 Like

lol It’s what our niece calls it. lol. We have a lot of older family, and are split between northern and southern California, so we had a small wedding down south in the backyard of Matt’s parent’s house, and that was all Star Wars. So all of the relics and decorations, adorn the walls in our house in SF. So when we are out, and it’s time to leave, she asks wait…are we going home or to the Star Wars house? lololol. it’s very sweet.

2 Likes

Love it.

1 Like

Beautiful scrappy work, and a wonderful way to support your friend.

1 Like

I hope the surgery went very well today.

1 Like

Thank you! About an hour ago, we finally got word that she got through surgery fine. It was a quadruple bypass, she didn’t need any blood, it was a very smooth surgery, and though she was groggy, she was already off the ventilator. All good news. <3 <3 <3

What an awesome thing to do, I’m sure your friend will love it. I hope all is well with her?
And man, you actually have a SW house? Wicked!

1 Like

When it’s a tad more put together than it is presently I’ll take some pics. The decor is very Star Wars influenced because we both love it, (Esp the originals), and our wedding was themed with it, so we have a lot of things we bought or made for that, displayed all over the house. lol. And we designed a Star Destroyer bathroom so you can do your business while enjoying a view of the imperial fleet, hovering in space above a planet, the incomplete Death Star, looming ominously in the distance, lol.

Sounds like you really went for it, the whole 9 yards! Well, when time permits, I’d love to see some pics of this house of wonders ;-D MTFdefinitelyBWY!

1 Like

So glad to hear your friend is doing well.

1 Like