Where do you source your embossing folders and cutting dies?

My new Spellbinders embossing and die-cutting machine arrived today, almost two weeks early! But it didn’t come with any dies or folders, so now I’m looking for places to source accessories. Obviously there’s Amazon, but I’m hoping there may be better options out there that will ship to Canada for a reasonable cost. I have to travel more than 40min each way to get to a community that has a Michael’s, which can also be costly. I regularly troll local thrift stores for crafting supplies and have amassed a decent collection of stamps for a fraction of what they cost new, but have only come across two dies, thick Sizzix dies, that I did buy, but am unsure they’ll work–I should read the instructions first, eh? Lol

3 Likes

I’m curious to know as well because I’ve been contemplating getting a Sizzix machine or something similar

I have gotten quite a few dies through Ebay and I imagine that embossing folders would be there, too. My online purchases of embossing folders have come from scrapbook.com and acherryontop.com - I don’t know about their shipping to Canada. I wonder about Wish and Alibaba?

2 Likes

When you do shop Michaels or other craft stores, make sure you use coupons; they’re usually good online or in person.

If you don’t mind the randomness of second hand, let people at your local thrift shop know you’re looking, and keep an eye online at local Craigslist, Facebook, Freecycle, and NextDoor (or their Canadian equivalents).

I had a great connection at an estate sale place, and would get a call when they had minis, but my informant left the business.

2 Likes

Oh yes! I for sure see craft lots show up on FB Marketplace so they must in other places, too!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips!

I have actually found some good ones through Wish in years past. I think they’ve started putting flags to tell what region they’re coming from. Some you just have to catch at the right time to get a good price. (ie FREE with paid shipping costs.)

Also make sure to Google Spellbinder dies sandwich and that will tell you what to do with the different brands and may even give you different tricks for the various dies.

1 Like

Aliexpress. Things that cost $20 in store can be $1 straight from the manufacturer. There’s a free shipping filter & if you add things to your wish list you can search for similar items from there to find the lowest price.
Be careful, it’s too easy to get carried away.

1 Like

Those are great suggestions! I never think to shop those sites, but will take a second look now that I have a purpose!

There is an amazing Etsy shop called InspirationStationMI that has all sorts of dies, folders, stamps, etc from various brands, but are universally accepted across cutting machines. I am not sure about int’l shipping, but it is a big shop with an actual brick and mortar store, so I’d imagine so.

1 Like

If you do hit up a craft store like Michaels, be sure to also look at their selection of craft magazines. Wafer-thin dies/die sets are a common ‘Free gift’ included in paper craft magazines. Good way to get unique/themed dies (particularly around the holidays) as well as project ideas cause the magazine usually has instructions for several projects that use the included die.

2 Likes