Where O Where Has All the Good Ribbon Gone?

So… In December, I needed some ribbon for this project:

I specifically wanted something that felt soft and drapey. I headed out to shop at my local craft and fabric stores.

Came home sad and empty-handed! Where, oh where has all the good ribbon gone?

Finally got some from my local creative reuse store, but have been grumbling about it ever since. And then a couple of days ago, one of my favorite YouTube personalities, Rajiv Surendra, addressed this very issue!

This also explains why I had to order from France, for some fabric cording I needed for another project.

Has anyone else noticed the dearth of good ribbon these days?

9 Likes

Oh my goodness- that shop! the shelves and shelves of color… @Magpie, @Edel, look!

2 Likes

I know!!! If I ever visit NYC again, that shop is on my must-see list.

2 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

You can’t make me look! Ack!

2 Likes

I mean, ummm, as inspiration for your basement organizing, yeah… yeah, that’s it…

1 Like

I love ribbon…I would spend days in that shop.

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that video. Thanks for sharing. I can’t say ribbon is something that makes my heart go pitter-patter, but I will make a point to add that shop to my next city trip!

2 Likes

Ok, I watched it. It was amazing. I sent the link to Wulf, he loves ribbon too, of course! Thanks for sharing.

@Tea I can’t get their link to work, I’m in Canada. It’s a restricted website from here for some reason. Maybe you’d contact them & let them know?

1 Like

I am interested in making some ribbon pouches…they are just so colorful and I am a huge fan of Tula Pink designs. I had my cart full but then stopped short of hitting order…seriously, I need to plan things out or else the ribbon will be hoarded in my stash!

RenaissanceRibbons

5 Likes

Oh, Linda, just why? Dang it!

That is seriously cute!

1 Like

Oh, my! Thanks for posting that link! LOVE some of those ribbons. Someone of those would make amazing bag straps.

WARNING: Double check your totals…I had to contact them because their shopping cart was not adding properly by a little under $10! Not sure if they fixed it, but it was quite obvious that 7+6 did not equal 14…etc. It was like a few dollars on every item…

Hmmm… sounds a little suspicious! But the ribbon is gorgeous.

They have been around a long time. It was when they changed to a different payment platform. I love their ribbons and customer support is very good. I am a VIP member so it might have just affected pricing for members. I use every bit of ribbon, with leftover bits being used to make key fobs…the strapping is perfect for that with a bit of ribbon…I buy the striped strapping the most as I love the black and white with the colorful ribbons.

1 Like

Do you have a picture you could post (of the key fobs)? Sounds cool!

I used this tutorial when I purchased that black and white strapping. I got the hardware from Amazon.

1 Like

I’ve been asking myself this question for a few years …

Yes, many ribbon manufacturers have been struggling to keep up with the increasing demand for ribbon due to the popularity of crafting and gift-wrapping. As a result, many stores have been running out of certain types of ribbon, making it difficult to find the perfect one for a project.

2 Likes