Whimsigoth Gifts

In December I’ll be teaching a class called Sewing Simple Gifts. Students will spend the day learning to make a microwavable heating pad that wraps around the neck & shoulders, a journaling bookmark & pen holder, and a miniature stocking ornament, that can double as a gift card holder. However, when I was developing the class, I originally thought we’d be making lavender sachets as our third project, so the prototypes I made include a set of 6 sachets.

The vibe was inspired by a fat quarter sent to me in the Summer Nerd Games as part of the Arts & Crafts Club. It’s a fun celestial print in deep blue, with pops of purple and teal planets, and gold suns, moons and constellations. Very Whimsygoth, and definitely something I would have fallen in love with in the 90’s, as a teen. I dug through my stash of fat quarters to find some fabrics to match, and came up with a little square of golden yellow batik, a purple grungy-style dot print, a dark violet print that looks like cork with metallic accents, and a purple & turquoise geode print.

I followed this tutorial from Sew Can She for the heating pad. (Since the heating pad will need to go in the microwave, I did not include any of the fabric with the metallic accent on that item, and was careful to use only 100% cotton thread.)

The tutorial for the Journaling Bookmark also came from Sew Can She. I made a set of 3 exactly as written, with the pieces 2.5" wide. But I found when turning them right side out, that the small opening was a bit fiddly to turn, not to mention bulky with 8 layers of fabric. They look fine, and if I was just making them all myself, I wouldn’t worry about it. But since I’ll be teaching less experienced stitchers, I decided to try playing around with the technique.

For the wider set, I started with 3.5" wide strips. After folding and top stitching the pocket, I cut away the bottom 3/4" of the BACK of the pocket. Once the bookmark is sewn, flipped, and topstitched, just the bottom 1/4" of the INSIDE of the pocket is just 1 layer thick, and when turning and pressing the bottom, you end up with just 6 layers of fabric, instead of 8. Plus it holds 3 pens or markers, instead of 2! I did use 1" wide fold over elastic for all of them. I found a seller on Etsy who sold grab bags of off-cuts, so I picked up one of her grab bags, and a few colors I thought I could easily use to make kits for my students.

Finally, we have the sachets. They are just the most basic of crafts. I swear these were in all my childhood craft books. Cut 4" squares; sew around the edge, leaving a small opening for stuffing. Flip, press, and fill. I used a funnel and a swizzle stick to make filling quick, and then hand stitched them closed. The lavender came from Amazon, and I’m really happy with the quality and scent. And since I have 2 lbs of lavender but no longer need it for the class, I will be making tons of sachets for my holiday friend & neighbor gifts. (The seller does offer smaller quantities, if you aren’t as nuts as I am.)

I did make prototypes for the stockings that we will make in class, but they don’t match the vibe of these gifts, so I made them in different fabrics, and will post them separately. I hope you all enjoy the 90’s witchy, whimsigoth vibes. Now go put on your favorite stretch velvet garment, light some candles, and watch Practical Magic. :sparkles: :waxing_crescent_moon: :woman_mage: :sun: :crystal_ball: :sparkles:

22 Likes

These are awesome! I’m sure the kids will love to make these. :purple_heart:

1 Like

These are all fantastic gift ideas…I especially like the pen holders. And your fabric choices are chef’s kiss.

1 Like

Great craft choices for the class! The journal bookmarks are especially cool. I’m sure the students will approve of the tweaks you made to the pattern. No newbie sewist should have to stitch through eight layers on one of their first projects.

1 Like

What a great class you’ve planned! Building on basic sewing skills to make quite a variety of nice little gifts!

1 Like

These are great! I love the coordinating fabric you chose and that gold abstract is gorgeous! I’m sure your students will love the class.

1 Like

This is a lovely selection of items for a class of novice sewists!

1 Like

Thank you friends!

Love the fabric. They’re such calming colors. Thank you for including the links to the patterns! There’s a small store by me that sells lavender buds so I have a bag full that I haven’t done anything with yet.

1 Like

What a great class that you’re offering! These projects will be a fun way to improve their sewing skills, while also making something fun and giftable - I love the whole concept! I also love the selection of fabrics. It’s a great color palette and very eye catching.

These are awesome! I am struggling with what to do with my space quarter as I am not attracted to purple. How you mixed with other fabrics and then your very well sewn creations, everything looks so polished.

1 Like

What a fun choice for the class! These will be great items for them to sew for cute gifts! I love the colors of fabric you picked to accent the fat quarter. You’re a whiz at fabric selection!

1 Like