Wild & Free Inspiration Flag

I was paired with @marionberries in the inspiration flag swap. If you have seen her work, you know she does some pretty awesome free motion stitching! I have played around with it and love it, but I just don’t get much occasion to do it.

I started by lightly penciling what was supposed to be a Queen Anne’s lace flower…well, once I got stitching, I realized that I could not make small enough circles yet…so it became some sort of rose/peony/imagined flower instead. No mistakes, right? ha

I used watercolors to color in the flower and leaves. I used Posca markers to add some gold dots and splattered white all over as well (which, didn’t really work well since the fabric absorbed most of it!) .

I used denim as the background and muslin for the embroidery. The red fringe was a small piece leftover from the trim on my sewing chair. The whole thing seemed unfinished without more color, so I ripped up some rainbow fabric and made fringe for the bottom.

I didn’t take a picture of the back, but, I liked how it formed another picture of the flower in black thread. I love @marionberries free spirit, which is why I chose those words (done with fabric markers and put on with heat bond).

16 Likes

Amazing, seriously. I love all the materials & techniques you used, the proliferation is a total inspiration.

1 Like

The circle fabric works so well for that fringe. :green_heart:

1 Like

This is so interesting and engaging to look at while staying totally pretty.

1 Like

I love your free stitching! That flower turned out beautifully.

1 Like

Love it! I think you captured both wild and free with your techniques and your obvious joy in creating it.

2 Likes

There are some people that really bring out my joy in making something for them. I was inspired by @marionberries and always feel “safe” to try new techniques or revisit old ones. I feel joy making these for just about anyone…there is something freeing about them!

2 Likes

How absolutely creative and beautiful! The free motion stitching looks really neat and makes me want to try it. Love this!

2 Likes

I agree with @Kwality570, my brain started churning on how to try this! Beautifully done! Love that flower. Great inspiration!

2 Likes

Just lovely. I LOVE the idea of stitching over a drawing/painting! Wonderfully executed.

An it is mine. It is even more lovely in person.
It will be a fun addition to my collection.

1 Like