Wire and Bead Necklace

This is a necklace that my mom had made, but when she went to finish the end knot, it broke apart. The cording was too small to tie a new knot, and removing beads to make the knot made the necklace too short. So, I had to restring it for her.

It’s made with one length of cord folded in half (and loped through the button), then the beads are strung on alternating cords with a jump ring in between each bead. It gives it a really neat look!

16 Likes

Interesting technique! It is really lovely and seems very versatile to wear with a lot of things!

1 Like

cool technique, I was wondering where you got those lopsided beads!

1 Like

Nice selection of colors for the beads. This necklace can go with lots of outfits.
The jump ring technique is cool. I’ve made a bracelet using it, with jump rings I got from @T.K

2 Likes

Neat technique!

1 Like

Not sure I fully understand the construction technique, but it looks fantastic! Nice of you to re-string it for her.

1 Like

What a nifty technique! How did you finish the knot?

1 Like

It is a really neat technique that looks a lot harder than it is. The beads were some of those larger seed beads (I’ve seen them labeled as size E, on occasion) that came in a mix, and the color palette was really pretty. But, the beads weren’t uniform in size, which was a pain.

@endymion, if I pick up some supplies soon, I can show you how it’s made, unless @Tanath has a link to a tutorial that she can share. I want to try it using beads that are more uniform in size.

@Magpie, I just did an overhand knot (I think that’s what it’s called) at the end of the last bead, then left a space big enough for the button to pass through, and finished it with another overhand knot. Her original necklace was on a covered cord, but they didn’t have the right size when I went to the store to get more (she got the original from a friend), so I used a waxed cording. I didn’t attempt to melt the ends, since that’s what caused it to break in the first place!

2 Likes

The jump rings help to make this extra special!

1 Like

Its very pretty. Nice beads and design.

2 Likes

Thanks (on behalf of my mom, really, since I only did the restringing)! I am kind of itching to try it with different beads to see how it comes out.