Wonky Star Quilted Tote Bag

I asked @AuFish to dance in the IYP swap, and she said she would like a tote bag.

I was thrilled because one of my favorite things to make is this pretty simple tote bag pattern that I quilt for sturdiness. It’s been a go-to end of year teacher gift many times, too. The nice thing is, once you have the shape, then it can become what you want it to become! I

I have a whole large stack of wonky star block pieces in my stash from several instagram swaps I participated in a few years ago. I had never decided what to do with them, so they just sat there. Well, So, I decided now was the time to use them and I would make this quilted tote bag much fancier than my usual single fabric bags. So, I chose some of the wonky star blocks that I thought would best fit AuFish’s tastes, and started figuring out how I could lay them out for her. I realized I needed to go find some coordinating fabrics, so I picked a few with the plan to make some flying geese.

Here’s the “front” of the bag. I had a different idea for the flying geese layout, but it would’ve been much too big for the “back” of the bag which I had already created, so I ended up laying them out this way.

As you can see, the wonky stars were made in different sizes, so the “back” has more than the front.

The inside! The bottom is boxed so it will stand up and hold more!

My general “go-to” for quilting these bags is to just quilt a straight line down from top to bottom 4x on each side. That would not have looked good with this bag, so I quilted around the stars, and around some of the blocks on the “back.”

What I love about these bags is they can hold a lot of weight and are very sturdy!

Thanks for agreeing to dance with me, AuFish!

27 Likes

What a wonderful tote bag! You’re lucky @AuFish! It looks so sturdy and practical and at the same time it’s a real work of art. I would never have thought of mixing those prints together but it looks great. And the lining is just amazing.

3 Likes

What a piece of art you made! I love a good sturdy bag

2 Likes

I love the blocks and their colors you chose! And as someone who would rather carry one 25# bag of stuff than 2 or 3 lighter bags, I appreciate the size and durability aspects, especially.

4 Likes

Beautiful bag! I really like the galaxy fabric you chose to coordinate with the stars. :slight_smile: :stars:

2 Likes

What a fabulous use of spare blocks! The colors go together well in an interesting mix (the brown is a nice surprise!)…

I am sure it will get lots of use and lots of compliments!

3 Likes

I love the colors and the wonky stars. The bag looks ready to hold anything. It’s beautiful. That galaxy fabric brings it all into the universe!

3 Likes

This bag is absolutely beautiful. I love the wonkiness of the stars. Great job!

2 Likes

What a great bag!!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all the kind words! It’s funny that I didn’t actually mean to get galaxy fabric to go with stars, I was just looking for jewel tones- happy accident!

1 Like

This is stunning! Sure to get lots of use, partly because it’s so handy, and partly to show it off everywhere!

3 Likes

This is so pretty! It is so well done.

2 Likes

This is so very beautiful!

2 Likes

Le sigh. I just love everything you make. I do.

2 Likes

It is a glorious bag and I am wonderfully honored to make it onto your dance card!

2 Likes

What an awesome bag! Great job picking such lovely fabrics!

3 Likes

This is a stunner! I love the colors, style and tone of this bag. All around fantastic!
I have serious envy of these fabrics too.

3 Likes

The fabrics of the wonky stars just go perfectly together.

1 Like

I just love a wonky star!!! So pretty!

Gorgeous colours, patterns, & design!