Woven wall hanging that I can finally appreciate

In Sweden we have 9 years in school that is obligatory. After that we have a 3-year school where you choose what you want to work with (you can learn to drive a truck or become a car mechanic, or you can start your way to become a doctor, as in reading and getting grades that you need to study at university).
I decided to go with crafts, and got both wood working and textile. But my main focus have always been textile.
Anyhow, during this time you get to be a trainee for a couple of weeks (how long depend on what you are studying). During one of my trainee periods I was at a woman in my home town who is a weaver. She has weaved her whole life and is very good. I was only there a week, so I didnt get to learn that much. But I got to do some practice work too.

Now, it’s been almost 20 years since I was with this lady. And the other day I looked in my linen closet and saw this wall hanging that I made with her. And I can finally appreciate and be proud of what I’ve made. So now I want to share with you guys. :slight_smile:

Its a starry night at sea.

30 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

This is lovely and a great memory

1 Like

Lovely work! I’m so glad it is getting the appreciation it deserves!

1 Like

Beautifully done. Have you done any weaving since then? Looks like you were quite good at it.

2 Likes

It’s beautiful. Sometimes you have to walk away or hide things in the closet until you get enough perspective to appreciate your own talent.
I love the peaceful feel of the sea and the little shooting stars!

3 Likes

Glad you brought it out to be admired and cherished. Lovely story as well.

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words!

@gozer No, to be honest I have not. But I want to try again. Make my own kitchen towels.

2 Likes

This is lovely - I guessed the theme before I read about it! Makes me happy to know you are enjoying it now,

3 Likes

This is a really striking piece! I’m glad it has found a home on your wall instead of in the cupboard!

3 Likes

Wow, that looks great for your first weaving and for only being there a week!

YES! Weaving kitchen towels is my favorite!! We need more weavers around here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All the different blues are so beautiful. Definitely start weaving again! It’s so cool how your school system is set up to help you build experiences & relationships within your field of study.

2 Likes

:hole: The LC groundhog says…this project rocks! :metal: Congrats on being featured!

2 Likes

What a beautiful weaving, the sides are very straight for a first time!

2 Likes

Beautiful! I’m glad you brought this out to be admired. It’s lovely work

2 Likes