X-stitch Juneteeth Decoration - CW: Potentially Inflammatory Anti-racism

This was a free pattern from Night Spirit Studio that I spotted as I was thinking that I’m going to decorate for Juneteeth from now on. I have another project in the works that a lot more “celebratory” than inflammatory, too. This was the quicker project - and I have almost a whole year to get the other one (and more?) done.

9 Likes

Fantastic! I think decorating for Juneteeth 100% needs to be a thing. Can’t wait to see your other project!

2 Likes

Simple and powerful. Rock on sister!

2 Likes

Thanks, y’all!

Rock on with ya bad self!

1 Like

Forgive an ignorant Brit but, what is Juneteeth and how does burning the Dixieland flag feature?

1 Like

Generally speaking, Juneteeth is the celebration of the Emancipation Proclamation that ended slavery in the US after the Civil War. There are more details, but that’s the gist. Even though I had known about Juneteeth, I hadn’t celebrated it actively before and a lot of Americans were relearning of just learning about it recently with all that’s been going on here around inequality, racism, etc. The Confederate flag is a symbol for racism and slavery, so burning it is meant to symbolize the end of that. Burning them is not a part of any Juneteeth celebration that I know of and the pattern was not marketed as such, but that seemed like an appropriate link to me.

Oh, what is called the Confederate flag was not actually used by the Southern states during the US Civil War, but most people think it was and it is a strong symbol for that.

What a powerful message!

1 Like

sort of… Juneteenth is the day the Proclamation was announced in Texas, on Galveston island (the port of the slave trade in Texas). Texas was one of the last states to hear the Proclamation after the war and also had one of the smallest populations of people in bondage at the time.

Per Wikipedia " Specifically, it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all slaves in Texas were free."

it is kind of weird for me to celebrate outside of Texas but totally cool!

Thanks for those extra details! I was lazy and hoped ol’ Wikipedia could do my work for me. Looks like it was you instead!

From Juneteenth dot com:
Juneteenth In Modern Times

Today, Juneteenth is enjoying a phenomenal growth rate within communities and organizations throughout the country. Institutions such as the Smithsonian , the Henry Ford Museum and others have begun sponsoring Juneteenth-centered activities . In recent years, a number of local and national Juneteenth organizations have arisen to take their place along side older organizations - all with the mission to promote and cultivate knowledge and appreciation of African American history and culture.

Juneteenth today, celebrates African American freedom and achievement, while encouraging continuous self-development and respect for all cultures . As it takes on a more national, symbolic and even global perspective , the events of 1865 in Texas are not forgotten, for all of the roots tie back to this fertile soil from which a national day of pride is growing.

The future of Juneteenth looks bright as the number of cities and states creating Juneteenth committees continues to increase. Respect and appreciation for all of our differences grow out of exposure and working together. Getting involved and supporting Juneteenth celebrations creates new bonds of friendship and understanding among us. This indeed brightens our future - and that is the Spirit of Juneteenth.

1 Like

As a Southern, I am glad to have the flag be in the history books. I only want one flag.

What a cute and fun little project!

2 Likes