Yarn durability

Hola! I mentioned in another thread that I intend to participate in the Moogly blog’s CAL this year. Before I go out and spend a crapload on yarn…can we talk about our favorite yarns and how they stand the test of time? Unfortunately, my skin is very sensitive, so I can’t do super cheap yarn. Or even some midpriced yarns that easily pills or is scratchy after a while. One of my favorite tried and true is Caron Simply Soft. If I can’t find another one, I will probably just go with that. Sadly, I can’t afford anything too expensive.

And…one of the things I love to learn from my fellow crafty folk is what they use and love. I would love to see that reflected here. :blush:

3 Likes

Not so much a fav brand, but I love alpaca yarns. So soft and squishy. And I think it really depends on what you’re making. Are they items like wearables? Toys?

1 Like

for large projects that take up a lot of yarn and could be quite expensive, I use DK weight yarn from Stylecraft. I have for years…it is soft, washes a zillion times without pilling, and crochets like a dream. They have a lot of colors and introduce new colors each year. It is the only acrylic yarn I buy anymore and have made hats and other clothing items for donation.

For swaps and for special projects, I tend to use merino cotton from Drops and I do like to collect and try various wool yarns.

I think there is a yarn for all projects and price ranges, but you might need to experiment a bit!

2 Likes

I will have to check out that acrylic yarn :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/stylecraft-special-dk-all-colours

They sell all kinds of yarns and so far they have held up…they are in the UK but their shipping is so reasonable and relatively fast! I could get lost in the Attic 24 blog…they put together afghan kits and they are reasonably priced.

4 Likes

I’m supposed to be on destashing mode for 2020.
But I will take a peek :laughing:

1 Like

I decided to reduce plastic drastically last year so I will be resisting the temptation to purchase anything but natural fiber. That means the cost will be at least doubled which will certainly help me keep down my stash! And also will challenge me to find projects for what I have on hand. Wool is durable, right? Unless a creature decided to nibble on it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

don’t look…they also sell UK fabrics…the quality is amazing

2 Likes

Too late…

3 Likes

Another vote for SSDK (Stylecraft Special DK)! It’s my go to yarn. It is consistent between dye lots, inexpensive, wears well, and is super soft after taking a trip through the washer and dryer. I donated most of my other crochet yarn and keep a stash of SSDK.

3 Likes

If you order from Wool Warehouse (I love the cute bags they package the yarn in!), you can use the code “rav10” for 10% off (doesn’t work on the attic24 kits).

4 Likes

I bought my yarn for the Frida afghan and also a few other “kits”…the good thing is that you can change up the color scheme to your liking…I bought the color chart with the actual samples…I am using the leftovers to create a scrappy afghan…it is my favorite ongoing crochet project.

2 Likes

I find most Drops yarn to be reasonably priced and to hold up well. They have a huge range of fibers so you could chose what would work best for you and the project you are making.

2 Likes