Year of Reading Ornament

I made this ornament for the Winter Reading swap. I saw a version of it on Pinterest and really wanted to make one, but I hadn’t read enough books last year to make it look good. Then I got partnered with @irid3sc3nt in the swap, and she had! I didn’t follow the instructions exactly. I ended up flipping hte book covers over so no matter which side was up, it looked like the front of the book and it opened properly. I also used pliers to flatten all the staples. I couldn’t stand the lumpy look if they weren’t flattened.
I added a cute Halloween-eques ribbon with bats to go with her Halloween aesthetics.
It was a fun project and my goal is to read enough books to make myself one this year!
I also made her two bookmarks with her lovely kitties faces.

23 Likes

This is super cool! Did you find a printie for the covers or make your own?
Is one of those titles People I Want To Punch In The Throat? Bahahaha

2 Likes

I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! Perfect execution, too, and so personalized for @irid3sc3nt!!

2 Likes

What a great way to honor a year of reading and just fun ornament on it’s own! Super cute bookmarks, too!

2 Likes

Nice way to motivate a person/child to read more! By Christmas, the ornament could be full of little tiny books!

2 Likes

I love this ornament and I LOVE that YOU made it! :blush: Gozer and books - perfect combination!

1 Like

What an inspired project! Perfect for the swap theme, and totally charming. It was a great idea to put front covers on both sides of the mini books.

For yourself, you could easily expand the time frame. For example, maybe all the books you’ve read since the start of the pandemic?

1 Like

This is so cute!

1 Like

That’s true. But for now, I am using it to motivate myself to read more and it’s working. At the end of each month I am adding the books that I read to mine. It is a visual reminder. :books:

You could also do authors, or series if there were enough books. Or themes! Magic, romance, detective, you name it!

3 Likes

What a cool idea!

1 Like

I :heart: it! It’s such an awesome ornament and I’m amazed that she did alllll of those tiny books. All 39 of them!

@Magpie Yes, it is People I Want to Punch in the Throat, good eye!

3 Likes

what a fantastic ornament!
love the idea of using it as motivation to keep reading throughout the year…well done!

1 Like

I downloaded the covers from her Goodreads account.

2 Likes

:books: :scissors: :christmas_tree: Congratulations! Your lovely Year of Reading Ornament is a Featured Project this week! :christmas_tree: :scissors: :books:

2 Likes

This is such a neat idea!! I think your choice of printing the cover on both sides was a smart one. I’ve wanted to track all the books I read (listen to) in a year, but I’ve never come across such a great way of doing it. Thank you for the inspiration!

2 Likes

Wow, that is fantastic!!!

1 Like

wow - love the cats, like the little books - so cute and cool

1 Like