Zoom Class Teacher Sign Up

hmm, a new toy…er, tool!

@JoyfulClover
@Magpie

This is all helpful, folks. Thanks for the hand-holding!

1 Like

I’m looking at floor stand phone/camera/tablet holders to avoid table-shake from having the recording device on the same surface I’m working on. I have a floor stand ring light & an optional mike that has better sound quality than other devices but that took some technical finagling by my lovely support team, it was all over my head, lol.

4 Likes

It’s totally okay to discuss the nuts and bolts of how to possibly teach a class here in this thread. I’m sure lots of folks have questions, and seeing what others have suggested or have talked about can be of help.

If any of you are curious about what is needed to teach an LC class besides Zoom, feel free to ask here too!

2 Likes

Understood.

However, I suggested the PM prior to her explanation. She clarified why she kept it in the chat and then - realizing now it was ON topic - I clarified what my thought HAD been. Just as she did. Oddly, it was to make sure nobody thought I was trying to keep information from them! Because from the new perspective it made sense to talk here. So, I redirected to others for having more experience.

I didn’t know I would get called out for trying to be respectful of others.

1 Like

You’re not being called out at all. Since @kittykill & I are heading up the LC Classes venture together, I just thought I’d lend reassurance that it’s totally okay to chat here. :slightly_smiling_face:

I ordered an okiocam s on ebay for about $45 (prices vary a lot. There’s a cheaper one on auction, but the seller has NO rating, not even for buying stuff, so might not be legit.)

It will be fun to experiment with the new TOOL.

2 Likes

I’ve used them in the classroom and they are nice, but the one thing I don’t like, unless there are other versions that have them, is the ones I have used don’t have lights, so when projecting without good lighting, the projection is dark. This can be overcome with good outside window lighting or a nearby lamp .

I just saw you posted this ages ago. What did you end up thinking of yours?

In case it’s helpful to anyone, here’s what I do when needing extra light for the okiocam: I have a couple of cheap painters clip lights from the hardware store, that I bought to use for additional lighting beyond my light box, for taking pictures of my jewelry. I bought daylight bulbs for them that have a rubbery coating, so the bulbs don’t get accidentally broken as they are moved around the house. The lights were incredibly cheap, about $5-7 when I bought them. The bulbs were a bit more, probably $10-12 each, but I’ve gotten so much use out of them for so many things. I take pictures of my jewelry with them, I’ve used them when doing projects around the house, and my husband frequently uses them when he’s playing D&D with friends online, to brighten his office when using Zoom. And when they aren’t being used, I clip them right to the bar in our storage closet, so they don’t get bumped around.

1 Like

It’s sitting in a corner, leering at me, daring me to take it out of the box.
Technology can be such a bi… Jerk.

2 Likes

I finally got it out. Was remarkably easy to set up and get working. Now back in box.

3 Likes

I’m still planning to teach in mid-March, will do paper flowers.
I’m going to teach it live to my mini group for practice!

7 Likes

That’s great!

1 Like

Hey there, will classes be offered again sometime? I really enjoyed the ones I took & would love to see more!

6 Likes

Yes, but I haven’t been working on drumming anything up while I’ve been unofficially ”away on maternity leave” as a Mod. Now that life with Ada has settled a bit, I’ve been thinking about resuming the classes.

What kinds of classes are folks looking to take? Who is interested in teaching?

4 Likes

Looks like @steiconi, @Bunny1kenobi, and @Edel had offered to teach previously but I don’t think their classes ran? I know I was looking forward to block printing in particular. :wink:

I’m trying to think of what I could offer…I’m willing to give it another go!

3 Likes

Tie dye? I want to do some of that.

I can’t think of something else I could teach…

2 Likes

I was thinking to teach miniatures but not sure how much interest there would be in that.

5 Likes

I love miniatures :smiley:

1 Like

If I liked zoom stuff, I would totally want to learn about minis.