Zoom Class Teacher Sign Up

Oh @Abbeeroad I was thisclose to messaging you to ask if you might be interested, & I just bookmarked that tutorial not 2 days ago to try with some beach stones I collected last week. Woo, spooky, & it’s not even October yet!

2 Likes

That would be awesome!

I have plans to make a scrappy version soon. I’ve been quietly refining the clasp part (really just getting actual hardware) as I feel like that is the weak spot of the piece.

Thanks to everyone who is making this possible. Seriously, you guys rock! Magpie’s class was a huge success! The people who couldn’t make it loved watching the video afterwards. We even had people sign up after the class was held. So awesome!

I know that real life can get in the way of our fun-boo on that! So, the class schedule for the next three months looks like this:
October: No class being held
November: Mistress Jennie’s small batch canning
December: Abbeeroad’s bracelet

The classes in November and December will be so awesome for the holiday season coming up! I love it!
In December I will check in with our 2022 teachers/classes.

8 Likes

Who was it on the old site who made those awesome goals books each year? That would be a fun class in January.

2 Likes

Was it @Smeddley?

If you’re talking about the ridiculous 50 goals of 50 items each aiming for a 50% success rate… that blossomed into the even more ridiculous 100 goals of 100 items each in 2014… yes, that was me! :smiley: I still have all the text and pictures from those posts, I think… I tried to grab a bunch of that stuff before the old site when kapoot.

4 Likes

Maybe you could trim it down to 25 or 30 pages. It was all the page layouts and designs I remember.
I’m a terrific starter of things, and a very poor finisher. But I always admired the book and you seemed to enjoy making it.

Oohh it sounds really interesting @Smeddley care to share a few pix

1 Like

I hope this is still in the works, @jemimah , because I have no clue HOW
I MISSED this discussion until today!!
These classes sound like so much fun, esp when I am familiar with the instructors already through our fun zoom craftalong sessions!
This is all so very exciting!

2 Likes

Yes! I have been thinking about it - the schedule will be sorted out closer to the time, but I’m definitely still planning to be available to do this sometime in the new year :grinning:

4 Likes

I can, soon, if not before the new year I’ll post a recap of everything in the 2022 book post! :smiley:

3 Likes

I read the more recent comments where you are still figuring things out. Definitely take your time to be ready! no rush! But I am thrilled at the idea of any “Blah Blah Blah” you are willing to teach!

4 Likes

I got myself a webcam which I know works, but I haven’t learned anything about Zoom besides how to spell it. :wink:

4 Likes

Just the spelling. Hilarious.

Zoom allows free 1-on-1 meetings. Let me know if you would like me to set up a call and we can walk through the pieces of the platform until you’re comfortable. It may take several, and that’s fine, too!

Still with zero pressure - totally at your pace. PM me if you like, Harlan. :peace_symbol:

6 Likes

Would you consider doing a Zoom tutorial on Zoom tutorials? I’m signed up to do one in March, would love a walk-through.

3 Likes

Hey steiconi - are you interested in a tutorial like a craft tutorial, with screenshots of logging in and setting up? Or are you interested in setting up a call specifically to figure out the different pieces and parts of the platform? Without the pressure of a an impending “topic”?

Either is fine, I’m just asking for clarification. PM me if you like.

J.

3 Likes

I’ll reply publicly, because others might want to chime in. Maybe more people will want to offer classes if they knew how it works.

I’ve used zoom when somebody else set up the meeting, but it looks like teachers sign in on the LC account or Pam’s account or something.

Cameras. I thought I could just use the one on my laptop, but apparently not? Someone said you can rig up a cell phone instead.

Sooo…a tutorial that starts with setting up and covers logging in would be great.

3 Likes

Okay, no problem. I didn’t want to hijack the thread, so I suggested a PM.

A LC Zoom Instructor SOP is probably a better fit. To outline responsibilities, order of events, FAQ, and a listing of best practices for teachers in this particular environment. Unfortunately, I haven’t taken any of the classes (yet), or taught a class so, perhaps a mod or one of the people who have already instructed might be able to jump in to answer questions. Good luck!

4 Likes

I did more complicated than neccessary but…
Kitty sent an invite to everybody participating in the class including me but allowed me to share my screen with everybody so mine was the one being viewed. Rob set up a laptop with the camera on my face. Then he set up a cell phone held onto the laptop keypad with elastic bands, camera ovrhanging the edge & aiming down at my hands on the desk.
There’s software (different for every device) for phone & computer to let phone act as a webcam. Something needs installing on phone & something else on computer to allow that function, they both need to say yes to each other. For me, I made the desk the main screen/desktop w my face just a little box in one corner, that way everybody could see me making & I could see that too & keep it in screen & in focus. The corner face box shows whoever is talking so ask participants to mute themselves if they are in a noisy environment or you’ll be hearing & seeing kids, pets, construction etc, lol. They can hit unmute to speak & be heard.

3 Likes

I bought an okiocam, which is a document camera designed for teachers. (It was suggested to me by a friend who teaches jewelry classes as her full time job.) The camera has a folding base that’s wide and flat, and the camera can be used pointing down at the base (where school teachers can use it like an overhead projector), or it can be turned up to the face or room. I used it for both my sun catcher class, and the intro to canning class.

It was INCREDIBLY easy to use. No software to install. Just plug it into a USB port, and open Zoom (or other meetings platform like google, Microsoft meetings, etc). You choose which camera you want to use in Zoom, and can easily switch between laptop and okiocam. It gave a nice clear picture (better than my very good laptop). Another fantastic thing: it doesn’t make noises. It can’t ring if your mom decides to call while you’re teaching, or if someone sends you 10 texts in a row. It will also never freeze and decide it wants to update for 40 minutes. My husband has also used it playing D&D online with friends to share their map.

I got the smallest, cheapest model, which was $69 on Amazon. I know that’s probably more than most folks want to spend on a one time class, but I’m already glad I did. I got to teach 2 classes with it, and am lending it to Abbeeroad for her December class, so I feel like I already got my money’s worth. Especially since I’m sure I’ll do future classes.

9 Likes