Zoom Craft Meet-Up?

I’ve been having lots of lame zoom meetings during “Shelter In Place” I would really enjoy having an awesome crafty zoom meeting! Just wondering if this is a thing we can do? Might be awkward but maybe super fun too? I dono.

6 Likes

I think there are some people who do live chat, but don’t know if anybody has ever done Zoom.

2 Likes

Yes I would do this 100%

2 Likes

Zoom is great and easy to learn. The interface is simple. You just need to download the Zoom app, which takes only a few moments.
However, your device must be properly enabled. If you have not used Zoom video conferencing before, go to https://zoom.us/support/download. Downloading Zoom is free and quick.
Free meetings are up to 45 minutes long, but if someone has a paid Zoom account, meetings can be as long as you want. And you can use computers, tablets, or phones to join in.
It takes a bit of managing for the first meetings, but everyone gets the hang pretty quickly.

2 Likes

That would be lots of fun!

2 Likes

I would be down for this occasionally. I just downloaded Zoom the other day for a virtual Band Boosters meeting on Sunday. I’ve never used it before.

2 Likes

At work, even though most people are working on-site, almost all meetings are now done via Zoom. My work computer has no microphone and no camera, but I can still watch and listen and type in comments in the chat field. I couldn’t afford to buy anything, but might do a 45-min freebie meeting.

Edited to add… I know @appledainty does Twitch… does anyone know if that would be an alternative to Zoom? Or is that really just one person’s video and the rest of the participants just text?

1 Like

I’ve done Zoom crafting and chatting (mostly chatting!)…it is just nice to put a face with the names … and just being nosy seeing everyone’s crafting space! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this would be fun!
esp if we could time it so that internat’l buddies could join –
@anna.wahnsinn
@Edel

2 Likes

The only constraint with international is the time zone thing…but, it can be done!

3 Likes

Sounds like great fun! I’d love to chat with you all. My Tai Chi class zooms, and there have been lots of zoom school meetings and conferences this past school year.

There could be a few different times set up so that all continents could participate.

2 Likes

I work at a college so I have a pretty good zoom account. I’d be happy to host at least one meeting. What time works for the internationals? Should it be organized or is that a fun-killer and we should just show up with whatever project we happen to be working on?

2 Likes

I’ve joined a few zooms but my camera and/or space washes me out :stuck_out_tongue: and I get super awkward and don’t know what to say/do… buuuuut I’d still probably join a crafty zoom meet-up if I’m free :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s never going to be one time that suits everyone around the world. But midday/early afternoon for the US, means evening for us European folk. Which would be good.

4 Likes

Personally I’d probably be there for an afternoon call like 4-6 for the US, because then I’d be free around 10-12… everyone here asleep but me.

3 Likes

The thing I like is that you really don’t have to even be that active if you don’t want…I enjoy hearing chit chat and some people are naturally more chatty than others. You can also turn off your camera if you are camera shy and just listen and speak. It can work for a lot of people just to connect.

I also have a Zoom account and am pretty much free all the time.

5 Likes

I’m definitely on the not chatty side but I’d love to take part in a zoom virtual craft meetup!

I host weekly craft lunch at my office and we’ve been doing virtual since mid-March and it’s working pretty well. My favorite parts are show and tell!

3 Likes

I love it! :heart_eyes:

Why don’t we start a topic in the #lounge and whenever someone wants to start a new Zoom, they can just post the link & password in there? Then just reply again on the thread when the meeting is over, so people know it’s no longer available. It can be an ongoing thread with no scheduling requirements. If you (general you!) are online and you want to chat with someone as you craft, you can create a meeting and let the thread know about it.

I do prefer it to be in the Lounge, though, so search engines and non-registered users cannot view the URL or passwords to creep on us! :slight_smile:

If this works for everyone, @kittykill, could you start the thread for us, please?

5 Likes

I LOVE this solution!

1 Like

And we have a thread up!
https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/zoom-meet-up/5522

2 Likes