Zucchini, Rhubarb, and Blueberry pie

Looks good.

Tastes good? I couldn’t wait til tomorrow, :grinning: . But I can’t taste the zucchini, so it does taste good.

5 c. 1/4 in. Chopped zucchini
1+1/2 c. 1/2 in. Chopped Rhubarb
3/4 c. Blueberries
2 Tbls. Flour
1/2 c. Sugar (For those who like more sugar, do 3/4 to 1 cup).
Pinch of Salt

Preheat oven to 350°, and prepare a pie crust in a pie pan. Mix all ingredients together, then pour into the pie crust, and bake for about 55 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes to an hour, then place in the fridge for at least 5 hours, 24 hours for better results.

It definitely has an apple pie texture to it, so that’s an A+ and what I had really hoped for. Also, I can not taste the zucchini at all (So, not sure if poor taste, but I don’t think so. I’d like to think so, HAH).

I’ll update with how it tastes when it has sat in the fridge over night…Heh!

I can see there needs to be a few changes, but not that big of a change. Just needs more liquid. Maybe I should have added that one or two tablespoons of butter. :person_shrugging: . Also, I won’t know if I got enough flour in it til it chills completely, so have to wait on that, but it’s not bad at all. At least I don’t see it being all that necessary.

Also, after eating it, I don’t feel anything out of the ordinary with my GERD, either. So maybe…Just maybe, this is a doable dessert for me, :smile: .

Update: Ok, had a second piece, and I could taste the zucchini a little bit in about three to five of the pieces. Also, it did come out way too fluid, so definitely needed more flour. :thinking: It does work, and it is good…Just needs a tad bit of a tweak…But what and where…

Maybe changes…

1/4 c.Flour instead of the 2 Tbls.
Cook the rhubarb, blueberries, zucchini, and sugar for about 20 to 25 minutes over medium heat. Place in fridge til completely chilled, 2 hours or more. Shorten baking time to 45 minutes. (Maybe this will help to get the zucchini to fully cook in the pie shell).

7 Likes

Ok! two days later, it thickened up, and the flavors have encorporated nicely. so just like with the jam, the longer it chills, the tastier it gets, and I have to say, that’s rather unnacceptable. I do need to find a way to speed it up.

Also, a weird little happenstance, I think the rhubarb and blueberries are much more pronounced in this than if it was only rhubarb and blueberries.

Ok! it’s been five minutes. I can have another piece, :grinning:

2 Likes

We didn’t plant zucchini this year, but this is a great idea that I want to try out next year! It looks tasty enough.

Interesting combo! It looks really good in your two days later pic.

I’ve been thinking, and I wonder if I sliced the zucchini up thinner, say 1/8th of an inch, 3/10th’s of a centimeter, and placed the fruit on top, maybe that would help with the coloration and infusion. Unfortunately, though, I do believe I will have to add more fruit to it. 4 c. zucchini, 2 c. rhubarb, and 1 c. blueberries. (Oh well, it will still use far less fruit than a normal pie. So would still be a cheaper option, and healthier, at least in my lower sugared version, heh).

Anyway, I hope I can try the different changes soon.

1 Like

Ok! Write this down before I forget…

I made two pies, so doubled everything up.

8 c. Zucchini chopped 1/8th inch thick.
I blanched the zucchini in water with 1/4th tsp of ground ginger (And yep, that was a bad idea. So have to see how it comes out. I kind of overdone it, when I only wanted to do it for about 3 to 4 minutes, but it looked like it wasn’t doing anything…then BLAMMO…It was done, :roll_eyes:. I chilled it, and tasted a piece, so it does look like it will work).

Into the zucchini.

1/2 c. Sugar
1/4 c. Flour
1+1/2 Tbls. Melted butter
1/8 tsp. ground ginger

In another bowl, I combined the following.

4 c. Rhubarb
2 c. Blueberries
1/2 c. Sugar
3 Tbls. Flour
1+1/2 Tbls. Butter
2 c. Rhubarb
I layered two pies with zucchini on the bottom, and then I layered the fruit mixture on top of the zucchini.

If everything goes well, the fruit should definitely infuse nicely with the zucchini.

I’m so sore, and so frustrated…Oof! Well, at least my GERD isn’t being annoying…yet.

Notes: I used an older larger zucchini for this. So it was a tad tougher, and why I attempted to blanche it. But regardless, it was definitely the right size, as the pieces were fairly good sized, and will definitely be awesome if they keep the same texture. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Ok, overall thoughts on this experiment.

it does work. it isn’t bad, and I will definitely finish this off, but the zucchini just doesn’t get that full pie feeling.

Colors? oh my word, I love how the colors came out. This is by far one of the most beautiful pies I have ever made, and I think I know how to capture that in the final write up.

What really needs to be done to make this as good as it can get. Make the filling first, chill for two days. Then make the pies. I did find an oatmeal crumble crust and I know it’d be fine. heck, it’d make it like a cross between a pie and a crisp. But it definitely needs to have the filling done first to get the zucchini perfect. plus, maybe to get this coloration, cook the zucchini separate with half green rhubarb, and make the blueberry one with the other half of the rhubarb. I would bet that would work.

1 Like