2020 DeStash-Along

@ilovesnaills that is awesome! Who’s the designer?

1 Like

That made me laugh!! Are you familiar with Portlandia? They did a sketch several years ago about 911 calls and all the emergencies were beet-related. Hilarious. We’ve shown that clip to the kids (we carefully curate any Portlandia bits we show them! :flushed::see_no_evil: ) and make jokes about it fairly regularly. So the night that all this happened, I was talking to dd about what it was like to talk to dispatch and, just teasing, asked her if they told her it was beets. She laughed and then got wide-eyed and said, “But it WAS beets!!” That’s been the funniest part of this whole thing!

5 Likes

Humour is a great healer, if you and kids can see the funny that could go a long to way to lightening the heaviness of the experience :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m beginning to realize that with my personal 2020 Craft Supply No-Buy challenge going remarkably well, my 50 projects a year posts are identical to what I would usually post in this craft-along thread. I’m not really sure how much duplication we want or need. I’ll have to figure out a way to “repackage” or re-frame the projects to make them more interesting for this topic.

1 Like

If you want to just link them from other craftalongs or post, that is fine as well…do what makes you feel comfortable!

I know that many of us do multiple craftalongs that fit so as long as you link over here, you can be put into the drawing!

1 Like

My son’s skull and crossbones hat is finally finished. I made it from yarn in my stash, but I did buy the yarn for this purpose (albeit a couple of years ago!)
Skull and crossbones knitted hat

5 Likes

Totally counts!

2 Likes

I had this yarn in my stash for a few years…I must have thought I lost it, because there is another skein of it not even off the hank! I have no idea what I was going to make…so, I made this … it took almost and entire skein. I might use the other skein to make some mitts.

11 Likes

Love the colours

2 Likes

Warning! There be maths ahead!

With the start of my no-buy craft-supply year I was looking for some sort of metric to measure how much of my stash I was actually using. I found this formula eventually and tried to keep very close track of everything I made/consumed during February, up to and including keeping all my fabric trimmings in a jar until the end of the month because I’m a crazy person.

First things first - converted to metric a yard of fabric weighs roughly 170g.

I sewed 19 doll dresses of various size over the course of the month.
Cumulatively the dresses weighed 118g.
I also generated 57g of snippets while trimming fabric at various points in the process.

So that’s 175g of stash fabric consumed during the month of February, or about one yard + one inch. At this point I may be able to make a noticeable dent in my stash in roughly 20,439,725,163,847 years.

(I also used 48 inches of ribbon, 3 buttons, and knit 166 yards of yarn into a single sock.)

Stay tuned next month for more nerdy and slightly depressing numbers!

10 Likes

lol I think @jemimah figured out that she would use up her stash by yr 2279…it can be depressing…or maybe a sign that we need to be more realistic…I am going to give away the two bins of party fabrics I have stashed…I no longer have formal parties to attend, and if I do, I will just accessorize one of my black formal dresses…I am not going to be upholstering furniture or chairs, so that bin needs to go as well…and I no longer want to make themed bags or purses, so a lot of my larger novelty fabrics need to go

You better get sewing and creating monster rooms for your dolls’ wardrobe at your rate! ha ha ha

4 Likes

Green! Yes, time to work on my green stashes!!!

1 Like

To give @AIMR’s comment above some context, here are the themes for March. Feel free to be inspired by or ignore them as your fancy and your stash take you.

March Themes

Color: Green
Pattern: Stripes
For: Your Craft Space
Challenge: Now that you’ve weeded through your stash you might find it useful to do some organization - put all your yarn in bins, sort your beads, and consolidate all those half empty containers of googly eyes. If you come up with a particularly clever way to organize your stash or have found something on the web that could be useful or inspiring, please share!

[image source]

10 Likes

I like to think of it not as “depressing” but as “preparedness” lol
If the zombie apocalypse happens and craft stores are shuttered and looted at least I can make still make baby blankets! (or really colorful slightly useless fishing nets.) haha!

That said, I still have my ongoing Supply Embargo… (shifts herself to block your view of that 18 skeins of yarn recently delivered for the big blanket lying on the dining table)

5 Likes

I think I finally managed a destash that fell within the month’s inspirations! I used 5 shades of stashed, green DMC floss to stitch up this hand towel using a vintage linen towel that was in my stash. WOO!

15 Likes

I love this so MUCH! Sage advice neatly stitched on a very pretty towel.

I used up some yarn scraps and made my first granny square. The pattern is Oriental Star, and it ended up 11" square.

10 Likes

@tendstowardschaos cool looking square

@TheMistressT great message and the embroidery is amazing!

2 Likes

So I bought six balls of bulky yarn (because they were on clearance, of course). It was maybe with hubby in mind, but not necessarily. There is a little less than 450yds. Any suggestions on what I could crochet woth this all? I started on a lap blanket, but I don’t think it’s enough yarn.

3 Likes

I adore all of the bulky yarn crochet hats! I want to make a few to put those dang fur pom poms on…I really love this one.

You could make a matching scarf as well.

If you are not into clothing, perhaps you could mix yarns? I have seen some cool afghans that do a few rows of chunky, a few rows of regular…you will need to size down your hook to even them up, but it is not a difficult project.

I love that yarn, btw…it is so soft and the color goes with everything!

2 Likes

Idk how much yarn is needed, but what about something like this https://coolcreativity.com/crochet/readers-wrap-crochet-pattern/ wrap?

2 Likes