2020 DeStash-Along

POW! I made over 30 faux postage stamp embellishments from stash!

Just a few:

I also filled a friend’s request for 7 masks using all stash. She had her own elastic, so that stash was untouched. :smirk:

12 Likes

The faux stamps are really cool! What size are they? Nice that you didn’t have to cut into your elastic stash. :smiley:

Thanks! They vary quite a bit in size and those in that photo are on a self-healing mat with a 1" grid for reference. Most of the pics in their thread are taken on a self-healing mat, too!

1 Like

Look at you using easy gauges for size reference. I didn’t even pay attention to what was behind them! :laughing:

:upside_down_face: I don’t think most people expect a black/grey self-healing mat, either!

I will say that the dies cut some awkward sized stamps shapes. There is a perforated line just under the edge of most of those images so to cover it you need to be kind of exact and I end up cutting to 1/16th of an inch on some.

1 Like

TheMisterT asked for a repair or replacement of his water purifying pump and I was able to build a new one using all stash and parts from the original! WOO!

WaterPumpBag01

3 Likes

:star: September Themes :star:

Plaid! by Tina Marie, on Flickr

Color: Burgundy
Pattern: Plaid
For: Kids
Challenge: What’s your stash weakness - that particular crafty material that you can’t stop buying? Make something with it!

3 Likes

Wait. What. September?!?

Kidding aside, my internal calendar is all kinds of non-functioning now. Stupid covid. But I did actually start a stash buster for my kid so… lookee there, i’m on the (yarn) ball here anyway! Haha

ETA: I actually finished it!
(Not sure why we’re sideways, but that’s 2020 for ya…)

7 Likes

I realized I haven’t done my tallies since May. I’ve been doing a lot of crafting since then, so it’s a bit of a doozy.

This summer (June - August) I made

• 9 surgical masks
  • 2 pouches
  • 91 doll dresses
  • 1 doll sweater

So I have used up

• 4 yards + 6 inches of fabric
  • 3.5 yards of elastic
  • 9 yards of ribbon
  • 2 zippers
  • 1 button
    plus an unknown amount of yarn.

Almost everything except for a couple masks and a handful of doll dresses have gone on to other homes. I did buy 5 yards of muslin, but it is being quickly used up for linings. Next I’ll need to buy some thread… I have plenty of colors but I’m running out of neutrals.

6 Likes

My crafty weakness if fabric…I can’t seem to buy just a piece or two but the entire collection…I have a lot of “collections”…I have decided to start using up some of the fabrics I have saved for clothing…I don’t need clothes, but I like the construction process.

I have seen a lot of nice fun clothes online that I want to duplicate in a fashion…it is not about the money, just about the challenge. I am not a huge fan of plaid, but I do have a cute top that would like in a plaid…hope I have enough yardage.

4 Likes

I managed to use up a whole skein of bulky yarn today when I decided that I needed to make my brother a hat for his birthday being celebrated today. I don’t know if I’ve ever knit that fast before and I thank the gods the old and the new for whomever invented the bulky (6) yarns. haha! But I got it done, it fit him well, and he loved it so, there ya go.
image image

8 Likes

I just made 56 masks. These are some of the kid ones.

Since March, the total is approx 400…all from stash. I have ordered interfacing and elastic, but the fabric was stash. I do work full time, veggie garden, completely reconfigured the craft room, reorganized the basement, fostered several sets of kittens/cats, and joined several swaps. Whew. Staying home does give a person time! Time to fill up with projects.

All the masks has reduced my stash by way less than I would have thought. And highlighted my fabric hoarding ways. Everyone needs at least one bad trait, right?

9 Likes

Well, if you still have some of the castle fabric to get rid of, I might be able to help out with that! :wink:

(seriously, tho, super impressive!)

I agree, I can’t imagine 400 masks!

I used up some more stash chunky yarn today making a birthday crown for my little one to wear for her 2nd birthday next week. image

8 Likes

I’d share if I could. I purchased a layer cake of Robert Kauffman kid prints for a baby quilt. The castle was one of the 10" x 10" squares. I can get two kid masks out of one square, or one adult mask. Sorry, all used up. Please don’t cry. :smiley: Actually there were two of the castle with different color schemes and a set of those went to twin girls. I wish I had a picture!

The daycare these went too takes in kids from health care workers, and a certain percentage of lower-income kids, so masks are greatly needed. I lined the kid ones with flannel, backed by featherweight iron-on interfacing to give it some body and better droplet control. The kids love the flannel, it is so soft. I find it too hot right now, maybe in winter.

I’ve streamlined my production and can turn out at least 2 dz weekend, if I have time, sometimes more. Mindless work, but oddly satisfying.

7 Likes

I finished my b’day girl’s Oona the Puffin this morning at 1:03am- just in time!
The colors are slightly off and I dont love the eyes, but it was what could be done solely from stash. She immediately recognized her so it’s a success.

8 Likes

What a nice way to spend some time this morning, scrolling through y’all’s stash busting projects!

I had to google who Oona is, I think you captured her really well. Hope your birthday girl had a good day.

1 Like

Thank you!
I cant take credit for the design, that goes to Spin A Yarn crochet blogger/designer. Now that the birthday girl has gone to bed i’m about to do a proper post with links to the pattern.

She had a great day… I’m ready for bed, too!

:jack_o_lantern: October Themes :jack_o_lantern:

15598607641_b0762cf77a_w
{image source: https://flic.kr/p/pLoWB4}

Color: Black
Pattern: Lace
For: Charity
Challenge: 10 is such a nice round number. Make something inspired by ten - using 10 things, something that uses 10 pieces of your stash, whatever works for you.

6 Likes