2020 DeStash-Along

I don’t think I could identify my oldest WIP. Maybe the cross stitch I started in high school? Or doing something w/ the granny squares my grandma taught me to crochet on when I was 8?

1 Like

Only reason I know mine is I"ve moved it more times then I can count over the years. From house to house when I’ve moved. From room to room in said houses as I tried to finish it and never did. I really do want to finish it because it would go great in our dining room/ dnd room. It’s a big dragon wrapped around a castle in the water.

6 Likes

Oooh, I need to see a pic of this!

2 Likes

It’s funny because I have been crafting for decades and destashing for so much of that time, or trying to haha, and I am still having revelations about the process. I think we talk quite a bit in this topic about what constitutes stash and how we feel about it, different styles of loving or not loving clutter, etc etc. I am thinking just now that our relationship with stash is really about functionality. For some, they enjoy an abundance of items around them, it feels full and welcoming and inspires endless creativity. For that sort of crafting, the goal is to be surrounded by stash that is always being sifted, used, things made from.
For others, the stuff hinders making and they are always struggling with tidying up to make room to make things. That’s me. I’m that crafter, especially now that I’ve got full-time work outside of the home and don’t have time to rebuild from the craftastrophe after each project. For me, the goal really is to use up all the things in my studio and keep a bare minimum on hand, maybe just a few left overs that I then make something with before replacing with other stuff. This is of course very challenging for me because, like most of you, I can not seem to resist the pretty, pretty supplies, lol. But I am learning that giving in to that pleasure keeps me from the greater pleasure of being able to create when the inspiration strikes and the time is available. It’s a big shift in perspective and habit but I’m getting there. This topic really helps, thank you all so much for being here :blush:

10 Likes

Here it is. I have a few stitches in the middle, all blended colors and like 2 stitches them change colors. Also the remaining back stitching. Probably a week or so of work. Just need to get off my butt and do it.

19 Likes

That already looks super cool!

1 Like

Thank you. I started it when I was 15 or 16. Some where there abouts anyways

1 Like

Whoa…

1 Like

I think this needs to be not only destash but finish your old WIPS…wasn’t that one of the prompts?

wow…you can do it!!!

1 Like

I think you might win some kind of prize for longest WIP. :laughing: But you’re on the homestretch! You can do it! You can dooooo iiiiiit!!!

2 Likes

I am working on making these little cards for thank you cards for future swaps and the like. I’ve had the paper for a couple months so not too long in the stash for these. I have many more to go. All but the purple ones are holographic. There are four of each so far.

I will probably be decorating them when I go to use them but want to leave them plain for now since I’m not sure where they will be going yet!

13 Likes

The cards are lovely and that dragon is epic!

My WiP getting attention right now is a blanket I started last April. It’s 201 rows by 201 stitches (crochet charted afghan) and if I do 3 rows per day it should be done by the end of march. Then the border. If I keep my focus (read: leave it on the dining room table and have to avoid making eye-contact if I slack off) I will finish it just in time to ship it off for her birthday. It’s a yarn-eater so that will make a big dent in the yarn stores- although I bought up for this project so it’s not so much a stash buster as a WiP finisher and frankly, I’ll take that win. :slight_smile:

I am however busting out some table cloth yarn that I’ve had for nigh on 20 years in order to make a stuffed animal hammock for my daughter’s bedroom. That is straight up stashbusting- woo hoo!

4 Likes

Thanks! It is in serious need of a washing as well! I’m going to wait however to do that until it’s all stitched up. It’s been in time out for a couple years I think this time around. I will make it a goal to finish it this year!!!

4 Likes

Hope you finish it, frame it and hang it in a place of honor!!

1 Like

Oh he will be finished, just not sure how many more years it will take! LOL

2 Likes

…You didn’t get the pattern from that dragon catalog in the early 90s, did you? Because my aforementioned cross-stitch is a dragon sampler I got from there probably around the same time.

Nope it was a kit my Granny sent me from the UK way back then.

2 Likes

Two dragon kits? swoon…you guys get going…we want to see the finished works…DRAGONS!

2 Likes

@ilovesnaills That dragon is super cute and an impressive amount of work. To my untrained eye it looks like you’re so close to the end!

@LuckyXIIICreations I love the papers you chose. They go really well with the star cut outs on the cards.

I made another one of the felt+fabric zippered pouches for my mom. It’s a bit on the long side, but those are the dimensions she wanted (no idea why).

9 Likes

@Trillian I have been playing around with the dimensions of this case…I am thinking of making one boxed at the ends and removing the back seam as well…I just realized that I got a case similar in a swap and use it to store some metal DPNs…it fits them perfectly but now that it is getting full, I need another one…a longer one to make getting them in and out easier

These are also perfect for my stash of odd zippers…

1 Like